Chapter 27

After my talk with Fernando, I went down to C-note to explain the situation and I told him how much peroxide we would be needing. He told me that he could get it and I thanked him before going to the rest of the crew and telling them what would be going down. Even T-bag listened for once without saying a crude comment. The next day, I filled my toilet with the peroxide and stuffed the spare P.I. outfit in there. Michael said it would need to sit for about an hour, so I let it stay there while we went to the yard.

"We need to finish this hole so that we can make sure no one finds it. Since the break room is basically finished, we don't need to be in here as long or as much. So let's get to work." I said, and Westmoreland lifted the carpet so that Lincoln could pour the rest of the concrete over the hole, sealing it.

"Kid alert." Sucre hissed and since we couldn't put the carpet over the wet cement, I went out there and stood in front of the door.

"What do you need?" I asked. He looked behind me, trying to peep in, but I shut the door firmly and crossed my arms.

"What y'all hiding that y'all always kicking me out? Bellick said I could work in there, not out here." Tweener whined.

"Oh get over it and stop acting like a baby. Be happy you're getting this nineteen cents an hour." I snapped, pushing him back as he tried to maneuver around me. "Don't insult my intelligence, Tweener. You work where we tell you to work, or you don't work at all, got it?" He rolled his eyes, but he nodded.

"Fine. Be like that." I scoffed, shaking my head. What was this kid? Twelve? I went back into the break room and C-note was putting the finishing touches on the walls. When he was done, we all stood back to admire our work.

"Looks pretty damn good." Westmoreland said and we all agreed. "I think the hole is dry now."

"Never thought we would actually finish it before we left." Lincoln commented. I glanced over at him and I could tell he was thinking hard about something. I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"You okay?" I asked softly. His green eyes met mine and I could see instantly that something was bothering him. "What is it?"

"Michael had a breakdown. I don't know if it was fake or not, but it seemed pretty damn real to me and now he's in the psych ward and I wondering if we should even still be doing all of this while he's gone. I don't wanna leave without him." Lincoln explained.

"I'm sure Michael has a plan for everything that's happening right now. That man dreams of plans for every scenario possible. Don't worry about him, alright? You have enough on your plate right now and the last thing we need is for you to get sick from unnecessary stress." I told him and he smiled, lifting his hand to rub my cheek.

"I love you, you know that?" I smiled back grabbed the hand that was on my check, leaving it there.

"I don't ever forget." A crash from outside the door startled us. I saw a shadow from the crack beneath the door I didn't think as I dropped Lincoln's hand ran out to see who it was.

"Melanie!" I heard my name being called, but I ignored it. I saw Tweener running and I slowed down, wanting to see where he was going. He ran straight to Bellick and I got closer to hear the conversation.

"What you got for me kid?" Bellick asked.

"Not much." Bellick raised his hand as if to hit him and Tweener held up his hands. "Wait, wait, wait. I didn't say I had nothing." He flicked his nose. "So that Burrows chick kept talking about some escape that's happening soon, but that's all I got. When I get in, I'll have more info." Bellick frowned.

"I knew they were planning something sneaky. That's all you got? Nothing else?" he asked and Tweener shook his head.

"Let me make nice with the girl and I'll have her talking in no time." Tweener said confidently and I felt my blood boil. He was ratting us out. I ran back to the break room before they could spot me.

"Clean everything up. This is most likely going to be our last day in here. Tweener ratted us out." I said breathlessly, dragging the carpet over the use to be hole.

"What? You serious?" Sucre asked, eyes wide. I nodded and gestured for C-note to help me out.

"I'm gonna-"

"No, Linc. That would prove we're up to something." I stopped him from saying the murderous thoughts that I knew was on his mind. Just as we got the table in position, Bellick barged in with other C.O.'s with him. He looked around at the room and then at us.

"Everyone out. You're done here. For good. Beat it. Go to the yard like the others." he ordered. Lincoln didn't move as we left because he was going to be taken back to the SHU. As we walked into the yard, I looked around until I spotted Tweener. I marched over to him and punched him in the face, catching him by surprise. I grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against the fence.

"Hey, hey, hey! What you doin'?" Tweener asked frantically. I leaned close, not wanting everyone to hear.

"If I'd known you were Bellick's little snitch bitch, I would've killed you the minute I saw you." Tweener shook and he held his hands up as I squeezed tighter.

"What you talking 'bout? I ain't no snitch." he lied. I chuckled.

"Don't play stupid, David. I heard you talking to Bellick just now. If you can't remember, I can find a way to...bring it back to mind." I threatened, tracing my finger down his eyelid.

"Okay, okay! I'll tell you." he rushed out. "I only did it so that Bellick wouldn't put me in a cell with Avocado." I froze at that name. That was the fat man that tried to rape me when I was new. "I don't wanna get butt raped." he said, almost crying. I sneered and smacked his cheek.

"You deserve to get butt raped for being a snitch. Watch your back. Better hope I don't kill you in your sleep." I said before letting him go. He held on to his neck, coughing a bit and I walked away, the part about Avocado irking my nerves. Even though I was angry, being in a cell with Avocado was like being in hell and I would never want anyone to end up there, not even an annoying person like Tweener. But at that moment, I didn't care.

Everyone was looking at me, but I only focused on getting to the guys so that I could tell them the plan. When I walked up to them, they didn't even acknowledge me because they were looking towards the entrance. I turned to see what they were looking at and I almost squealed with excitement when I saw Michael walking through the gates.

"Michael!!" I yelled, running towards him. He was barely gone for a day, but it seemed like forever. He had bags underneath his eyes, but they still lit up when he spotted me. I hugged him tight and he wrapped his arms around me, chuckling.

"Hey, Mel. Were you able to do what I wrote down?" he asked. I nodded and we separated and started walking towards the group.

"We finished the hole and we all bleached our uniforms. Sucre even did one for you."

"I don't need one. I'm wearing the guards uniform." Michael answered.

"What do you need the guard's uniform for?" He looked down at me, smirking.

"How do you think you'll be getting through the psych ward?" My mouth made and 'o' shape and I smacked my forehead.

"Duh, I knew that." As we got closer, I spotted Tweener and I started getting mad all over again. "We have a slight problem. Tweener told Bellick about the plan. Now, Bellick kicked us out and we can't go in there anymore. He and some other guards were in there, but the guards left. I think he's still in there. If he finds the hole, we're screwed." Michael narrowed his eyes in Tweener's direction.

"Hey, Mike. Good to see you alive and well." C-note said, clapping Michael on the shoulder. Michael greeted the group.

"Based on what Melanie has told me, I realized that we can't stay here any longer. Bellick is going to find that hole sooner rather than later and I don't wanna be here to find out if he does or not." Michael said, shifting his feet.

"So, that means that-" Michael's nod stopped T-bag's sentence.

"Yes. We're breaking out tonight."