Chapter 22

During tier time, Michael and I were escorted to a room and the guards left us, uncuffed. I furrowed my brows, wondering what was going on. The room was the size of an interrogation room, with a table in the middle and four chairs around it.

"Any idea on what's happening?" I asked Michael, sitting down in one of the chairs.

"Nope. None." he answered, pacing around the room. The door opened and I stood up when I saw Lincoln enter the room, also uncuffed. His eyes widened when he saw us.

"What's going on here?" Lincoln turned to one of the guards. "What are they doing here?" he asked, but they ignored him and walked out the door, closing it. "Hey!" Lincoln rattled the doorknob, but it was locked. So that's why they didn't cuff us. We wouldn't be able to get out either way.

"Linc." Michael called out to his brother, and I sat down, trying to wrap my brain around this. Why did they need all three of us in here at the same time? Lincoln breathed a sigh and walked over to the table, taking the seat next to me. He threw his arm around the back of my chair and started playing with the strands of my hair. He usually did that when he was tying to calm himself down. We all looked up when the door opened again and we didn't expect to see Sara walk in.

"Sara? What the hell is going on?" I asked and she looked just as surprised as we felt. She frowned, but walked over to the seat next to Michael.

"Do you know what's happening?" Michael asked her. Sara shook her head and looked at Michael. I narrowed my eyes. The way she looked at him was how I usually looked at Lincoln. Did she like him? I said nothing as Michael looked at her the same way for a split second before it disappeared.

"They didn't tell me anything. They just said Pope wanted me to come here, so I did." she explained, turning to look at me and Lincoln. She opened her mouth the speak again, but for the third time, the door opened and Pope walked in, carrying a folder. He walked to the front of the table and he had a forlorn look on his face.

"Pope, what's going on that you needed all of us here?" Lincoln asked, still playing with my hair, but looking at Pope.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news." Pope said, looking down at the sheets in front of him. He finally looked up at Lincoln. "The governor reviewed the case and the verdict is still the same. You are back on track for your execution this Sunday." Lincoln's hand froze on my shoulder and my breathing paused. That was in three days.

"What? No, that can't be right. It would take days to review the case and then he would have to take it up to the-" Sara was interrupted by Pope.

"I'm sorry, Sara." He turned to look at me. "I know you were counting on this, but it is what it is."

"No!" We all jumped at Lincoln's outburst. He stood up banged his hands on the table. "This isn't right! Their father hates me, so he would never review my case throughly. Give it to someone else. Let someone above him read it and-"

"Son, there is nothing else we can do about it." Lincoln pushed the table and it banged against the wall on the other side of the room. My eyes widened as he stalked towards Henry.

"There's always something else. Find somebody. Call anyone!" he yelled, stabbing his finger in Pope's chest.

"Guard!" Pope yelled and the door opened immediately. They grabbed Henry and escorted him out and the door banged shut. Lincoln growled and grabbed his chair and threw it against the wall. By now, me, Michael and Sara had stood up, not wanting to get in the way of his wrath. He grabbed my chair next and repeatedly hit it against the wall until he was breathing heavily.

"Linc, you need to calm down." Michael said.

"Shut-up!" Lincoln yelled, turning to face the window. Michael was about to walk towards Lincoln, but Sara grabbed his arm and shook her head.