Chapter 20

I looked out C-note's cell and saw T-bag circling around Westmoreland.

"You're just gonna slow us down, you old sack of bones." He walked closer to him, and Westmoreland leaned back, but didn't look scared. "Step out or I can just snap those dusty digits right now." He threatened. I didn't think as I slipped out of C-note's cell and pushed T-bag out of the way.

"Threaten him again and you'll be the one left behind." I hissed, tired of him picking on people. T-bag licked his lips and sauntered over to me until he was in my face. I narrowed my eyes when he ran his hand down my figure, but he removed it just as quickly as he started.

"The only 'left behind' I'll be doing...is yours." he whispered in my ear. I sucked in a breath and he chuckled as he walked away. I composed myself and turned to Westmoreland.

"You okay, Charles?" I asked and he nodded.

"Thank you, young lady." I smiled and patted his shoulder.

"Anytime. Be careful. I'm sure he's going to try everything he can to make sure he leaves and I don't want anyone getting hurt in the process."

"I can handle myself, but thanks for the concern." He commented before trudging away. I watched him enter his cell and then I looked for T-bag, making sure he didn't sneak and go back to threaten Westmoreland. When I was satisfied, I went back to C-note's cell and I saw him smiling.

"What are you cheesing about?" I asked. He laughed lightly and shook his head.

"You remind me of my wife. All feisty and protective. I bet Linc has his hands full with you." I grinned and leaned against the bed, folding my arms.

"Yeah, he reminds me of that all the time." I rethought what I said. "Well, at least he did." C-note frowned.

"What do you mean?" he asked. I told him my story of how young I was when I got married, having LJ, Linc leaving us, him being on death row, and I had to say that speaking to him felt good. It reminded me of the conversation I had with Sucre, getting to know him.

"Melanie!" I stopped talking when I heard my name and we both got up to see who it was. I saw Michael upstairs, scanning the prison. When he spotted me, he waved me up and I turned to C-note.

"It was nice talking to you." I said, meaning it. He smiled.

"Same to you." I waved and ran up the stairs, wondering what Michael wanted.

"We need to talk." He said when I was in earshot, walking into his cell. I followed him and saw that Sucre wasn't in there.

"What's going on?" I asked, hoping nothing was wrong. Michael rang his hands together, seeming a bit jittery.

"So, I talked to Sara when I was in the infirmary and-"

"Wait, why were you in the infirmary?"

"Insulin shots. Anyway-"

"What? You don't even have diabetes." I said, confused. Michael sighed and gripped the side of the bed impatiently.

"It's a long story, but it was our only way to be able to have access to the infirmary. Anyway, as I was saying, I talked to Sara yesterday and asked her to talk to you guys' dad about reviewing Lincoln's case. She said she would try, but no guarantees. She doesn't want any part of this."

"Mike, I already asked my dad to review the case. He refused multiple times. I don't think talking to him about it again is going to work. He doesn't like Lincoln already as it is since I married him."

"Well, maybe he'll come through this time." I opened my mouth to speak, but Michael didn't let me. "Melanie, Linc has barely a week left until his execution and at the rate we're going, we won't be able to get out in time. I need more time." Michael said, almost desperately.

"Burrows and Scofield! Pope wants you!" I heard Bellick shout. I looked at Michael, confused.

"Do you know anything about this?" He shook his head, looking just as confused. We exited the cell and two guards came and put us in handcuffs before escorting us to Pope's office.

"Close the door, please." Pope told Bull, who was usually stationed outside his office. When the door closed, he gestured for us to sit down.

"What's going on?" Michael asked. Pope said noting as he gathered some paper and after a while, he looked up at us.

"Governor Tancredi has agreed to review Lincoln's case based on new evidence that has come to light. Because of this, Lincoln's execution will be delayed a week longer." Relief passed through my body and I put my hand over my mouth, thanking the gods.

"You're sure?" I asked, not wanting to have false hope. Pope nodded, handing me a sheet of paper. I read the content, which confirmed what he just said.

"Your father wanted me to tell you two specifically. That is all for now. If anything changes, you will be informed. Guard!" I smiled and looked at Michael, who looked relieved. We were taken back to our cells and by then, tier time was over. They put us back in our cells and as soon as they left, we both went to our cell doors to talk to each other.

"So is that enough time to finish everything and leave?" I whispered and Michael nodded, an excited glow dancing in his eyes.

"It's more than enough. We'll be out of here in no time."

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"Like right now?" I nodded and he smirked. "Sleep." With that, he left the door and I climbed up to my top bunk, but I wasn't tired. My mind was jumbled, trying to understand everything that was going on. My dad actually helped delay my husband's execution for God knows why. Michael seemed to be getting very close to my sister, and I could tell she was interested in him by the way she looked at him and talked about him whenever I visited her. T-bag was definitely a liability because he could snitch at any moment.

"Open on 41!" I frowned and watched as my cell door opened. What do they need now? I wondered. I stayed on my bunk as Bellick walked over, peering into my cell. He was grinning like he won the lottery and I knew that meant he was up to no good.

"Burrows! Looks like it's your lucky day!" I narrowed my eyes at his statement.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He reached behind him and pulled a young guy from behind him, who was holding a pillow, blankets, and toiletries.

"Since there's no open spots anywhere else, we had to use our only available spot to accommodate this new prisoner." He explained, pushing the guy forward into my cell. My jaw fell open.

"No-"

"Yep! Burrows, say hello to your new cellmate."