Chapter 24

"What happened to her?" I heard Michael's weak voice and Sucre's eyes widened.

"Mike? You're back already?" Sucre asked, his hand still on my back. He wanted to make sure I didn't do anything stupid like kill T-bag and end up in the SHU for the rest of my sentence here.

"Yeah, they figured that was the only thing they could do since I wouldn't tell them what happened." Sucre whistled and moved us to the side as other inmates made their way to their cells. I just stood there, until Michael walked out his cell, a worried look on his face.

"Mel, are you okay? Whose blood is that?" Michael asked softly.

"Abruzzi. T-bag slit his throat. Guess we'll have enough time to get everyone over the wall now." I said dryly. Michael looked at Sucre and I saw a look of understanding pass through them.

"You need to wash your hands. Can you do that?" I raised my blue eyes to Michael's.

"I'm not handicapped, Mikey." A small smile appeared on his face and he hurried and pushed me towards my cell.

"I never said you were. Go on. We'll talk later, okay?" I nodded and walked in my cell, just as the doors were closing. I walked straight to the sink and looked in the mirror. I looked a hot mess. Blood streaked across my cheek along with tears stains and my hair was wild. I looked like the world was on my shoulders and in a way, it was. At least Lincoln's world was. I quickly washed the blood off my hands and my face, feeling semi-relaxed.

"I still need to speak to you." I froze, forgetting that I had a cellmate.

"Go to sleep, kid." I muttered, turning to go to bed.

"I'm serious, shawty. I need to get on the P.I. shit." I rolled my eyes and climbed into bed, not wanting to hear anything he had to say.

"You're not gonna get in, so erase it from your mind pronto." I ordered, slipping under my blankets. I heard him suck his teeth and he leaned over, upside down.

"Can't your friend help me out? Ain't he like the head or somethin'? He in charge, right? So you can just ask him and-" My blood boiled when he spoke of Abruzzi and I shot up, stopping myself from grabbing his throat. But I did get in his face.

"You're not getting in. Ask about it again and I won't hesitate to paint these walls with your blood, got it?" I growled and he nodded, eyes wide. "Go to sleep." He pulled his blankets over him and I went back to mine, falling into a dreamless sleep.

Two days passed and I was scared. With Abruzzi gone and Michael's back injury, we fell behind to the point where we couldn't make it. We were in the break room when we realized it.

"It's too late. We don't have enough time." Michael uttered, giving up. He threw a brick angrily and bent over, seeming to be in pain.

"What do you mean we don't have enough time?" C-note asked, frowning. The other men stopped painting to look at Michael with bewildered expressions. Michael looked up, defeat in his eyes.

"We can't escape." he whispered, voice cracking. I turned away and put my hand to my mouth. That meant Lincoln was going to die. Tomorrow. And that's how, the next day, I ended up in the hallway that led to the electric chair. Pope, Sara, and Bellick stood by us to make sure we didn't do anything stupid before Lincoln went in.

"It's okay." Lincoln said, acceptance in his voice. Tears were streaming down my face and Michael had wet eyes too. Veronica was also present, bawling her eyes out.

"This isn't right." she sobbed, giving Lincoln a hug. She stepped back and Michael stepped forward. Seeing them hug made my tears stream down even harder, but I didn't make a sound. When Michael stepped back, Lincoln and I looked at each other for a few seconds before I launched myself at him, our lips meeting. This kiss wasn't sexual or lustful. It was a goodbye forever kiss. I hugged him tight, sobs finally escaping my lips.

"It's not fair." I cried, gripping his plain white t-shirt. He wrapped his arms around me and rubbed my back.

"I know." he said, kissing the top of my head. We stayed like that until Pope said we had to separate. I looked up at him through my cloudy eyes.

"I love you." I whispered, running my fingers down his face.

"I love you more." He kissed my tear-stained cheek and let me go. I put my sleeve to my mouth, my body shuddering as sobs wracked my frame. Sara put her hand on my shoulder, worry in her eyes. She had to observe and make sure everything was right before Lincoln was killed.

"I'll show you where you will be viewing the execution." Pope said, and he led the way. There was one door that led to the viewing room and Michael and I sat in the front. Veronica sat right behind me, her sobs not as loud as before. Lincoln looked scared as they strapped him into the chair, tightening everything.

I grabbed Michael's hand and squeezed as they wet a large sponge and placed it on top of Lincoln's head. "Oh god." I whimpered when they put a helmet on top of the sponge and screwed it on tight. Lincoln's veins in his arms were protruding as he gripped the armrests of his chair. They tied a wire the connected to the electricity to the top of the helmet and Pope stood by, watching the entire thing.

Sara checked everything and Pope dismissed her. I'm glad he did because she would be scarred forever if she watched my husband die right in front of her and couldn't do a thing about it. All of this seemed to go in slow motion. I readied myself as the guys placed their hands on the levers. Just when they were about to pull it, the phone rang. My heart stopped and Pope looked confused. He answered it and his eyes widened.

That's when the black curtain fell close, blocking Lincoln from our sights.