Chapter 22

Reuben's POV

I land hard on the ground below as the water is cut off above us.

Coughing fills the air from Jesse, but before I can find her in time, I see that Petra is already at her side.

Man, those two were getting close.

It made me kinda jealous.

Mainly cause Jesse isn't just my sister, she's my best friend.

And I don't want to lose her.

Hopefully she remembers that we need to get home still.

Because though these people are nice, our place is back on our farm with our parents.

Not here with all the crazy crap going on.

"Where's Axle?" Olivia asks just as Lukas gets up off the ground.

As if on cue Axle falls down from the ceiling, landing hard on Lukas' back.

"Heh, don't worry. Everything's totally cool." He says, a huge smirk on his face.

The amulet had been knocked off of Lukas in the carnage, and rolled right over to Jesse.

She leans over picking it up.

"The lights are gone." She mutters, her voice slightly strained.

Petra grabs Jesse's hand, seeing the large gash from holding onto the edge.

"What happened to you guys? Why did it take you so long to get here?" Petra questions, making them all turn to look at each other.

I shake my head.

I can't say I'm any better cause I waited too, but no one would have let me go through by myself anyway.

"We were kinda arguing about who should go first." Axle confesses, making Petra's eyes harden.

She looks so mad, Jesse just tries to hold her back, but to no avail.

"You guys almost let Jesse fall to her death because you were to afraid to go through a damn portal?!" She shouts angrily.

Olivia takes a step back towards me, looking slightly nerved by the red head.

It was obvious that Petra really cared for Jesse, I just found it a little weird how angry she was.

"Petra. Don't yell at them." Jesse coughs, looking weak.

I rush over to her, trying to balance her as best I can.

Luckily I succeed.

"Fine. But you guys need to stop fighting and get your priorities straight." Petra growls, making Axle and Lukas look down at the floor.

Jesse trudges over to pillar, leaning heavily against it, leaving me with the others.

The sickness was really affecting her.

She wasn't the Jesse she used to be, and that was all too obvious.

I hated seeing her like this.

Olivia rests her hand on my shoulder, making me look up at her.

"Reuben, I know I don't know you or your sister that well, but I know that she is tough. And she will get through whatever that is." She gestures towards Jesse as she wheezes.

I nod, knowing she's probably right.

Though Jesse could be sensitive at times, she could be as tough as Petra.