1//Hello Manhattan/ ED

Chapter 1

My hands grip onto the handle of the suitcase, my hands unsteady due to the jittery nerves. I take a moment, my eyes scanning the Grand Central train station, it's bigger than the last one I came from. The last one was quite unsanitary and not as pleasing to look at as Grand Central; the ups and downs of a city like New York.

A few feet away, a girl holding her cell phone aims high as she snaps pictures. My eyes travel to the phone's aim level to another teenage girl who stands at the second story; long blonde hair cascades down her shoulders and her complexion is fair and clear. I can almost compare her to a greek goddess.

There wasn't much to see leading me to exit the station where I am revealed into the great big Manhattan. The skyscrapers to the clustered buildings make me feel utterly small like an ant lost in a colony. The big apple does not compare to home on the tropical beach of San Diego, California. Where the sun is always shining and the sand is always hot as lava, near open vast beaches and original shops that hold the uniqueness of San Diego.

I lived with my father who's a hard-working cardio surgeon, he's a great dad but is sometimes too caught up with work. He gets busy at the hospital and sleeps there whenever he's too tired to get home or is on call. Although constantly working, my father dislikes the idea of myself staying home alone so he ventured the marvelous idea of staying in Manhattan with dear mother. He thought I could get a fresh start here as well, while my past swarms with stained ink in a pond that was once pure.

I didn't quite agree to come to stay with my mother since she and I aren't so close. I suppose it's time we talk things out and get along, after all, she is my mother.

My destination is a location known as the Palace Hotel, a grand hotel for a penthouse, so mother relayed the message. I glance around trying to read the names of the large buildings but I don't spot the hotel anywhere or maybe I just need a pair of sunglasses. I back away from the sunlight and hide underneath the shade, simultaneously colliding with someone.

I spun around and see the blonde girl whose photo was taken earlier. She stood stunned before glancing at her dropped bag spilling out her belongings.

"I'm so sorry" I apologize as I gather up her belongings. I hand them over to her and she takes them from my hands politely.

"It's okay, don't worry about it," She says with a reassuring smile.

I smile as I stand up, she does the same. Perhaps, she knows where the Palace Hotel is, she looks like the kind of girl who belongs here.

"Do you happen to know where the Palace Hotel is?" I ask

"Yeah, I live there actually. I can show you if you'd like" She smiles and gestures me to follow.

"Yes, thank you so much" I smile and walk beside her as she takes the lead. My father always taught me to be wary but my intuition does not feel any bad vibes. 

"So, are you new here?" She asks starting a conversation.

"I am. My dad thought I should come to live with my mom for a while" I answer and form my lips into a thin line. I'm still not fond of the idea of living with my mother but dad was always good at persuading me into things. 

"Oh. My parents are divorced too" She says. She looks down at her feet as we continue to walk.

"It's horrible isn't it?" I ask followed by a light chuckle.

"Yeah and to add to that, my mom has been married more than you'll ever imagine" She sighs

"Whoa," I say surprised, both of us sharing a laugh.