13//Seventeen Candles

Chapter 13

I wake up to the sun shining on my face, I squint open my eyes and see the bright sun. I shut my eyes and sit up. I reopen my eyes to see Nate sleeping in front of me. I'm still on the couch and so is Nate. We didn't fall asleep until a few hours ago, what a night that was. I can't even remember falling asleep. Poor Nate, he had a rough day yesterday.

I gently get up from the couch as I try not to wake Nate. I doubt he will, he looks like he's in a deep sleep. I cover him with the blanket that was on me. He slightly moves but then remains still.

I walk into the kitchen and pour water into the coffee maker. I place in a new filter and add coffee ground then I switch on the machine.

We're both going to need coffee this morning. The coffee begins to pour into the glass pitcher and gradually fills up.

"I smell coffee" I hear Nate's voice. His voice is raspy but soft due to just waking up. He walks into the kitchen yawning.

"You look horrible." I say with a playful smile on my face.

"So do you" He fires back.

"Touché" I say and he sits down on the island stool. "How'd you sleep?" I ask as I grab two mugs from the cabinet.

"Surprisingly amazing considering that couch isn't very comfortable." He answers. "What about you? You most likely slept better than me since you basically hogged the couch to yourself. You couch hogger"

"I'm sorry but last time I checked this is my hotel room." I state

"Touché" He says and I smile.

I pour coffee into the two mugs and slide him one. I take out creamer from the fridge and pull out sugar packets from a cabinet.

"I hope I'm not the first person to tell you this but you are just utterly amazing. You're the best person I have ever met. I'm honored you're my friend." Nate eagerly tells me. A smile forms on my face.

"And I'm honored to be your friend" I say and gaze at him in wonderstruck " I have to say you just very much most likely made my entire day." I add and he chuckles.

"I'm glad." He says. His eyes widen and he looks at the time in fear. "I didn't realize how late it was." He says

"Wow. I guess it is" I say and look at the clock, it's 10 am.

"I should go home. My mom is probably going insane without me there." He says and walks into the living room where he gathers his belongings.

"Yeah, of course" I agree with him. He slips on his shoes then puts on his coat.

"I wish I could stay and have breakfast but then you'd be seeing my name on an amber alert." Nate says and I chuckle. "Before I go." He says. He turns to me and embraces me. "Thank you for everything."

"Of course. Anytime and I mean that." I say.

He releases me and gives me a smile. He grabs his phone and walks to the door." I'll see you soon" He says before he walks out and shuts the door behind him.

I hope everything goes well when he gets home. I pour creamer into my coffee and stir it until the two are combined. I begin to wonder why mom hasn't gotten home yet, I know she wasn't supposed to come home last night but she should've been here already.

Just then the door to her bedroom opens and out she walks in her silk robe. I stare at her in bewilderment, my eyes wide and lips parted. She waltzes into the kitchen and sits on the stool where Nate sat. She grabs Nate's untouched coffee and takes a sip, she makes a sour face then grabs the creamer. She stirs the coffee and takes another sip with a look of satisfaction.