Life After SHIELD

I awoke in a familiar setting, a hospital room. Machines were attached to me, making sure I was alive. Blood was being pumped into my body, as well as morphine and water.

As I sat up, my stomach responded to the movement with pain. Someone grabbed my hand. I looked at who it was.

"Miranda?"

She smiled sadly. "Yeah, it's me." Tears welled up in her eyes and fell down her cheeks.

I pulled her toward me and she almost fell on top of me when I accidentally used my supernatural strength. I pulled her into a hug. "I'm so glad you're all right." I whispered.

Miranda pulled away from me. "Yeah, I'm all right, but look at you. You almost died."

"Yeah, almost. I definitely would have if I was an ordinary human." I smiled.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and pulled the blankets away. Lifting up my hospital gown, I could see that the stab wound had been stitched up. A bloodied bandage was wrapped around it.

"Yeah. The doctor said it looked terrible and that it should have killed you." Miranda commented as she watched me.

"Guess I'm good at living when I shouldn't." I smiled. "Watch this."

I lit my fire, still a bit weak, and snaked it toward my wounds. The flames grew brighter as they healed the wounds. I was strong, but not strong enough to heal myself completely. I had lost a lot of blood, but since I've been in the hospital, I'm sure I've received a lot of blood.

Miranda gasped as she watched, her eyes full of wonder. "That is amazing."

A doctor walked into the room and jumped when he saw me sitting up. "Alexx, I didn't think you'd wake up so soon." I didn't respond. "How are you feeling?" the doctor asked.

"Great. Well, my body still hurts, but I healed it more. It should heal quickly on its' own now." I smiled.

The doctor didn't say a word, shocked that I was able to heal myself at all.

An image of Steve in his bloodied state came to my mind. I slid off the bed and stood in front of Miranda. "Where is Steve?" I asked.

"He's in a room down the hall." Miranda replied.

I looked at the doctor. "Can I go see him?" 

The doctor hesitated. "I suppose that would be all right. First, I'll need to make sure that you don't need these machines anymore." The doctor ran a couple tests, then said that I would be just fine without the machines. He took all the wires off of me and pulled out the IVs, then left.

Once he was gone, I did a terrible celebratory dance, trying not to hurt myself. I healed myself again, this time healing everything completely, turning the bandages and stitches to dust. Well, except for the stab wound. It still hurt and I needed to have enough energy to walk to Steve's room. We decided to leave the bandage wrapped around my stomach. With Miranda's help, I changed into a pair of black yoga pants, a thin, loose white tank top that didn't entirely hide the bloody bandage around my stomach, and a dark red button down shirt, unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows.

After I got dressed I found Steve's shield in the chair beside my bed and strapped it to my arm. Miranda led me to Steve's room, giving me a goodbye hug before leaving. 

Several armed guards roamed the halls. A single guard stood by the door. He looked at me with an expression that said go away. I blinked, flames dancing in the irises of my eyes, and the guard hesitated. I stared into the guard's eyes and he nodded, realizing who I was. Blinking again, the flames disappeared from my eyes. I smiled innocently as the guard held the door open for me.