In the Hospital

Steve's POV

Alexx slipped in and out of consciousness as Tony brought us to the hospital. A team of doctors met us at the emergency entrance and strapped her onto a gurney, the blanket covering her body. Alexx held my hand tight and I held hers as I ran through the white halls of the hospital with the doctors.

We headed toward another set of double doors. As we approached, a doctor grabbed my shoulder and kept me from going through. Alexx's hand slipped from my grip and I watched through the little windows in the doors as she disappeared.

Tony and I stayed in the waiting room while Clint, Nat, and Ryan went to explain the situation to Miranda and Bruce.

Tony sat in a chair with his elbows on his knees, his hands clasped together underneath his chin. He tapped his foot as he stared at nothing in particular.

I folded my arms and paced around the room, needing to see Alexx. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Sit down, Steve. You're stressing me out." Tony mumbled.

"It's been almost five hours! I need to see her." I exclaimed.

Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned to face them. "Yes?"

A woman with light brown hair pulled into a side braid stood behind me. She was an average height for a woman. Her eyes were hazel, and she had a kind smile.

"I am Rachel, a nurse working with Alexx Summers. You're here with Miss Summers, right?" the nurse asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Dr. Mark Jones is overseeing Alexx and wanted me to ask you a question."

"What is it?" Tony stood up.

"Captain, did you know that Alexx has...wings?" Rachel whispered, not wanting to alert anyone and not quite believing the words that came from her mouth.

"Yes. Yes, we know. Are they okay?"

"Yes. We had to call a local veterinarian in, but her...wings...should be fine. Although it will take a while for the feathers to grow back."

"Can I see her?" I asked.

Tony cleared his throat. "Can we see her?"

"Yes, of course. I'll take you to her."

Rachel led us down several halls until we reached Alexx's room. She held the door open while we entered the room, then closed it behind us.

Alexx was hooked up to several machines and a breathing tube went down her throat, helping her breath. She was unconscious, laying in the hospital bed. Her wings were hanging in slings attached to the ceiling. Bandages were taped over her cuts, making her look a bit like a mummy.

A doctor stood by Alexx, checking the machines.

"Dr. Jones?" I assumed.

The doctor turned around. "Yes. You must be Steve Rogers and Tony Stark."

Dr. Jones shook our hands. "Is she going to be okay?" I asked, looking at Alexx.

"She'll be find. Although, if she were a normal human, she would be dead. She's a lot like you, Mr. Rogers." Dr. Jones sat on a stool and pinched the bridge of his nose. "She was in surgery for quite a while. Broken nose, several broken ribs, split intestines, damage to her liver..." He shook his head as if he didn't believe it. "You've got yourself a fighter."

I nodded. "Yes I do."

"She shouldn't wake up for a few days. Her body took a lot of damage, and it will take quite some time to heal. You should contact her family, tell them what's happened."

I shook my head. "Her family already knows."

"I'll let you visit with her, then." Dr. Jones nodded, understanding, and left the room.

I pulled a chair next to Alexx's bed and sat there, holding her hand in mine.

"I wish I had been there with her. I wish I had kept her from running away." I sighed. I held Alexx's hand in between my hands, putting them to my forehead. "If I had kept her from running, none of this would have happened."

"It's not your fault, Steve." Tony put a reassuring hand on my shoulder, lightly squeezing.

Tony sat in the chair against the wall and pulled a magazine from the shelf. I looked at Alexx. She looked so peaceful, despite the wounds that littered her body, which was finally covered up in a hospital gown.

After about ten minutes, Bruce, Nat, Clint, Ryan, Abby, and Miranda walked into the room.

"Oh, my gosh, she looks worse than I thought." Miranda gasped, her hands over her mouth.

"Has she woken up at all?" Nat asked.

I shook my head and Nat squeezed my shoulder. I stared at Alexx's hand in mine, wishing I could help her somehow.

Ryan stared at Alexx's damaged body. Abby wriggled in his arms, trying to get to Alexx. She wasn't quite as small as she was two months ago, but she wasn't full grown either.

I took Abby from Ryan and placed her beside Alexx, knowing that she'd be careful. She sniffed Alexx's arm, looked at me and whimpered. I pat her head.

"I know, Abby." I whispered. Abby laid down next to Alexx, her head resting on Alexx's arm.

Miranda stood by me and brushed Alexx's hair from her face. "I shouldn't have let her leave. I should've told her to wait another day. Wait until you guys came."

"It's not your fault, Miranda. She would've left anyway. You know how stubborn she can be." I replied.

Rachel entered the room. "All right, I need you all to leave. You can stay in the waiting room, but everyone needs to come out and let her rest."

Everyone did as Rachel said and left the room. I stood in front of Rachel. "Could Abby and I stay with her?" 

Rachel opened her mouth to say something, then thought for a moment. "All right, you can stay. Dr. Jones will be in and out to make sure she's healing properly."

I nodded and returned to the chair next to Alexx as Rachel left. I took Alexx's hand in mine again.

"I'm not going to go anywhere. I promise."