There's Always Time For A Vacation

"I can't, Miranda." I said, staring at the bikini she handed to me.

"Why not? You'll look great in it!" Miranda argued.

I had so many reasons why I couldn't wear it. First, it was a bikini. I didn't like to wear stuff like that, although I did look fantastic in them. Second, my wings. They were only hidden when I wore things that covered most of my back. Why? Because they are so freaking big -- I don't know.

"My wings, Miranda. People will freak out."

"Oh, yeah. Sorry."

"You should wear it. You'd look great in it. Go try it on."

"Okay." Miranda went into the bathroom to change.

It was the third day I'd been with Miranda and I felt very relaxed. Miranda helped me forget about my worries.

Miranda wanted to take me to the pool, but my wings would make it difficult. I could still go down with her, but swimming was out of the question.

"Ta-da! What do you think?" Miranda popped out of the bathroom and twirled around, showing off the bikini. It was red with white polka dots, and really looked good on her slim body, her shoulder length, brown hair complimenting the suit.

"Wow. I was right, you look fantastic." I marveled.

She smiled and grabbed her sunglasses, sunscreen, and towel. "Aren't you going to change?" Miranda asked.

I looked at my clothes. Sweatpants and a t-shirt. Not really beach clothes. Miranda tossed me a pair of workout shorts and a bikini top. I humored her and put the clothes on, then pulled a white v-neck over the black bikini top. I grabbed my backpack and took out everything, leaving my tablet, laptop, three water bottles and a couple boxes of sour patch kids.

I slipped my feet into a pair of black flip flops, put my aviators on, shouldered my backpack, pulled my black hair into a ponytail, and walked to the door with Miranda leading the way. We went to the elevator and went down to the pool. There were lots of people, but the pool area was big enough to fit them.

Miranda went straight to the pool, handing her bag of things to me. I quickly found a beach chair under an umbrella. It looked like a great place to sit. I set our stuff on the ground beside the chair and laid back, relaxing with my legs crossed at my ankles.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the screen. Steve was calling.

What should I do, answer it? Tony would be able to track me down. But it's Steve, and he's probably worried.

I sighed and accepted the call. "Hello?"

"Alexx, where are you?" Steve asked.

"Hello to you too, Steve." I smiled, listening to Steve's voice.

"Where are you? You need to come back, Alexx. I know what you're trying to do, and we can help. Please, just come back." Steve pleaded.

"Steve, I can't. Not until I do this. Jess almost killed you, and if I go back to the tower, I might kill her." I protested.

"Alexx, please."

"Goodbye, Steve." Before he could say another word, I hung up and put my phone in my backpack.

Miranda walked toward me, soaked from being in the pool. "Are you okay, Alexx?"

"Hmm? Yeah, why?" I asked.

"You were crying. Who was on the phone?"

I hadn't realized that a few silent tears stained my cheeks. I wiped them away and cleared my throat. "It was Steve. He wants me to go back, but I can't. Not yet."

"You're leaving tonight, aren't you?"

I nodded. "But don't worry about me. Go enjoy yourself. You're on vacation!" I playfully pushed Miranda toward the pool.

"You're on vacation, too!" Miranda teased.

"Everything I need is in my backpack. Don't worry."

Miranda smiled and ran off to the pool. A bunch of men went toward her and started to flirt with her, and she played along.

I smiled, pulled my laptop and a box of sour patch kids out of my backpack and went to tumblr. I popped a few candies into my mouth as I scrolled through my dashboard.

"Hey, why aren't you in the pool?"

I turned toward a man in bright pink swim trunks, his blond hair spiked at the front. I closed the internet and put my laptop back in my backpack.

"I'm not really a pool person." I replied, looking up at him.

"Everyone's a pool person."

"I beg to differ."

"Why don't you join me and my friends? It'll be fun." The man pointed at a group of men in the pool, waving at us.

"Really, I'm good." I replied, turning him down. I put the sour patch kids in my backpack.

The man grabbed my arm. "Come on, it'll be fun!" He pulled me off the chair toward the pool, his grip tightening.

"Let me go! I don't want to get in!" I protested, trying to pull away from him without using my supernatural strength.

When I had my feet locked into place, he couldn't pull me anymore. He turned around and grabbed both of my arms, his grip tight. He pulled me toward the pool again, not giving up. I started to panic. There were so many things I could do to get away from him, but not without using my powers or causing a scene.

I pulled against him again and he grabbed my shirt, ripping it off. My wings were surely visible, but no one noticed the small folded limbs yet. I let my hair down, draping it over my wings, hiding them for now.

"Come on." The man gritted his teeth and he again pulled me toward the group of men.

I had to do it. Even if it meant causing a scene, I had to. "You leave me no choice." I ripped my arms from his hold and crouched, kicking his legs out from underneath him. He fell to the pavement, and rubbed the back of his head as he looked up at me. "I told you, I'm not a pool person." I shrugged. The man frantically nodded as he got up and ran away.

Miranda walked toward me. "Are you okay? What was that all about?"

I bent over and grabbed my shirt from the ground. "That jerk tried to get me in the water. So I showed him what happens when you mess with someone like me." I pulled the shirt over my head, made sure my wings were well hidden, and went back to my chair.

"Oh, Alexx. I'm so sorry. Let's go back to the room." Miranda said as she grabbed her bag and led me back to her room.