Prologue

Dear Dad,

Thanks for canceling on me again. I truly appreciate the last minute owl telling me that I won't get to see you this summer, even though we've been planning on it since last summer. I can always count on you for last minute cancellations. You never fail me. So thanks for that. Thanks for leaving me with Mum for another fun filled summer where she'll put her work before me like she's always done. Very similar to you. You two are remarkable parents. Thank you so much for bringing me into a world when neither one of you planned on actually raising me. I like to think I'm doing a rather good job of raising myself actually. All I have to do is look at the two of you and be the complete opposite. It's been working out pretty well, considering people actually like me.

Have I ever told you that no one at Hogwarts with the exception of the professors and Professor Dumbledore actually know who my parents really are? That's because I tell other people nothing about you two. Because I'm pretty sure while they don't really care about what you do, if they found out who Mum was, no one would talk to me except perhaps middle-aged witches who enjoy gossip.

I cant wait to finish Hogwarts in a couple of years, because once I come of age, I'm leaving and I hope to never hear from you or Mum again.

Your son (if you can even call me that),

Pierce

P.S. Since I know you're too busy to answer your own mail and it's actually Watson who does it for you, hello Watson, I hope you have a nice summer following my dunce of a father around!

Pierce Holmes set his quill down beside his ink as he heard the front door from downstairs open and then slam close.

"Pierce, I'm home!" He heard his mother yell.

"Oh yay.." he mumbled to himself. "I'm so happy."

"Come downstairs and join me for dinner!" His mother continued to yell through the house, he could hear the annoying sound her heels clicking against the hardwood floors.

"No thank you. I rather choke on my spit!"