Chapter Twenty Eight

Pierce and Julius had plans to go to the Yule Ball together and for some reason, when people found out about it, word got around the castle faster than a snitch trying to dodge an incoming Seeker's hand. To prepare the students for the event, each Head of the House was assigned to teach their students who were attending the art of the dance that was part of the tradition.

As Head of the Ravenclaw House, Professor Flitwick had his students gather in an empty classroom. However, while he was prepared to teach all students, it seemed his focus was on making sure that Pierce was able to dance somewhat so Ravenclaw didn't look bad.

"Okay, have your partner ready." Professor Flitwick instructed him.

Pierce turned to Julius, who walked over and curtsied.

Professor Flitwick stared at the two for a moment, his little eyes as wide as ever as he stared at the two.

"I..and you.." He looked to Julius who only smiled at him in response.

The little man sighed before shrugging his shoulders. "Alrighty, let's get started."

The other Ravenclaw students snickered as Pierce lead the dance and appeared to be quite good at it as well. Julius also seemed to be the perfect dance partner.

The Professor couldn't offer much correction and he couldn't oppose the two going as a couple either as it was in their right, so the little man walked over to one of the seats and sat down letting the rest of the class waltz away playfully.

"Certainly won't be a dull evening." he muttered to himself.

Upon being released, Pierce was hoping to spot Hermione and spend a little time with her, perhaps discussing S.P.E.W or anything she wanted to talk about. Julius called after to him to wait up, so he obliged waiting around the corner as he saw Vanessa approach Julius down the corridor.

"Did you get your dress robes, yet?" He heard Vanessa ask Julius. "All my friends are matching their dates, but I didn't think we had to unless  you wanted to."

"Oh uh..Vanessa.." Julius began before he sighed heavily. "Listen..I..I can't go to the Yule Ball with you because..because..well.."

"I heard a rumor that you were going with Pierce but..I thought it was only a rumor. Is it true?" She asked. "You're really going with him."

'He's my best mate." Julius said. "And I have to be there for him. We can still hang out at the Ball though.."

"Uh yeah..sure. Um..I have to go. I'll see you around."

Pierce was leaning against the wall as Vanessa quickly zoomed passed, making the guilt in his chest swell. He didn't know that Julius had confirmed a date already with Vanessa, only to cancel it because Pierce had missed out on asking Hermione out first. Banging the back of his head against the wall, he waited until Julius rounded the corner.

The boy had forced a bright smile on his face as soon as he saw Pierce.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"Yeah," Pierce answered. "Come on."

 Pierce sighed as he sat alone in the library later on that evening finishing up his Arithmancy and Charms homework. Julius had fallen asleep several times before Pierce finally told him to head back to the dorms leaving him alone to work.

He pushed himself up to go search for a book he would need to complete his work and began to look around, wondering why he left his wand at the table in the first place when it would have been so much more useful to retrieve the book.

He felt all out of whack, with guilt building more and more throughout the day. Julius did enough for him over the years, as he was the most loyal friend and probably the most loyal person in the Hogwarts castle. He sacrificed his happiness for Pierce at the drop of a hat.

"I'm a terrible friend." he said to himself.

"Why are you a terrible friend?"

Pierce jumped at the voice that came from the other side of the bookshelf.

"Uh.." he moved a book but didn't see the other person. "Hello?"

"Hello." the female voice responded. "Did you hear my question or are you choosing not to answer?"

"I rather know who's asking the question before I respond."

"What does it matter who I am?" the girl replied.

"I guess it doesn't." he shrugged.

"So why are you a terrible friend, again?"

"Someone's nosy."

"I prefer the term curious."

Pierce smirked to himself. "Ah well...I guess I haven't been the best of friend lately. Everything seemed to revolve around me when it shouldn't have. I should have thought of others, including my friend. He deserves to be happy..more than anything."

"Well, I don't think you're all that terrible if you can acknowledge all of that."

"Thanks." Pierce responded. "By the way, who am I confessing all of this too?"

"A listening ear."

"Okay, well thank you mysterious listening ear."

"You're welcome, Pierce."

With a puzzled look, Pierce walked around the book shelf to look at the other side but there wasn't anyone there when he got there.

"Hmmph."

Julius was close to falling asleep in his bed when Pierce arrived back to the dorms.

"You need to go to the Ball with Vanessa." he said.

Julius sat up in the bed. "Wh-what?!"

"I said you need-"

"I heard what you said but Pierce..you don't have a date."

"And I'm okay with that! You had plans and you should follow through with them. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine."

"But-"

"Really, Julius. You do more than enough for me. Go..please..go to the Ball with Vanessa. I think she really wanted to go with you."

"But what about you?"

"Don't worry, I'll figure something out. Besides, I heard Professor Sprout doesn't have a date yet."

"Pierce!"

"You're right, she probably does....what about Filch?"

"FOR MERLIN'S SAKE!"

"Right, he's probably taking Mrs. Norris. Oh well, I'll figure it out. In the meantime, you need to find Vanessa tomorrow. Just tell her it was all a big misunderstanding."

Julius smiled at him.

"Thanks Pierce."

"Anytime."