Chapter Thirty Four

Pierce wasn't all too sure on how to respond to his father's weird announcement that he did in fact care for him, but he was even more unsure on how to react as his father drew him into a tight embrace. Unlike all the other hugs exchanged between father and son, this one actually felt genuine to Pierce and made him feel even more uncomfortable than the awkward hugs and pats they shared over the years.

It made him feel uncomfortable because despite all the issues between them, the hug brought Pierce to instantly forgive his father for all the years of neglect. He just wanted to remain in his father's hold and pretend all of the years of anger and hostility that Pierce held towards him didn't exist. Slowly, Pierce gave in and hugged his father in return.

John appeared a little ways, hoping that he didn't arrive to witness the death of Sherlock by Pierce's hands, but to find the two embracing brought a smile to the man's face. 

"Finally."

Sitting out in the courtyard after leaving his father and John, Pierce found himself swinging his legs back and forth in deep thought. His father agreed to try and act more fatherly towards Pierce, and even promised that when the summer came around that Pierce would be able to finally spend another summer with him on Baker Street.

It brought a smile to his face as he sat there until someone took the spot beside him. He expected Julius but was even more pleasantly surprised when he saw Hermione.

"Hermione." his smile grew wide. "I..I wasn't expecting you to be around."

"I was in the neighborhood." she told him.

"Glad you could drop on by. How are you?" he asked. "The last time I saw you, I'm afraid you weren't in the best of moods."

"I'm much better now." Hermione said. "I..I wanted to thank you for the other night. You know...for being so nice."

"You shouldn't have to thank someone for being nice, Hermione. You should expect it, because you deserve it."

She blushed as she looked forward allowing the chilly wind to blow her hair out of her face.

"Did you have a nice night at the ball?" Hermione asked. "I thought your date for the first dance was lovely."

Pierce snorted. "She was an exquisite dancer, but between you and I, she was awfully quiet."

Hermione giggled lightly, covering her mouth.

"Why do you do that?" Pierce asked her suddenly.

"Do what?" Hermione looked at him.

"I noticed when you laugh you often cover your mouth."

"O-oh."  Her eyes quickly averted to the ground. "I...never really noticed I did that. I guess it's habit."

"A habit you developed because?"

"Because of my teeth." she said in a low voice.

"Your teeth?"

"Well, yes, they were always on the larger side."

"They were not!" Pierce protested.

"They were too, you don't have to be nice about it. I already know-"

"It's not a matter of being nice in this case," Pierce said, ' I actually never noticed."

"Really?"

"Why would I notice something like that? There's plenty more to you than your teeth, Hermione."

"Plenty of other people noticed them." she explained. "Malfoy had plenty to say about them-"

"And you actually listen to that prat? It's Draco Malfoy, he's a total idiot. Anything he has to say should go through one ear and out the other. You should never change yourself based on what he says to you."

"Ah well, thank you." Hermione said as she swung her legs back and forth, mirroring his movement.

"You're welcome, but once again you don't have to thank me for something like that."

A moment of silence passed between the two before Pierce cleared his throat.

"So how is S.P.E.W going? I feel as though I've been a very neglectful member."

"I can't blame you for that, you've been rather busy, Pierce. And S.P.E.W. isn't going anywhere fast."

"Why do you think that is?"

"Because I'm probably fighting an already lost cause. No one seems to be genuinely concerned about the house elves like I am and I can't understand why. I don't know why people would think their working conditions are anywhere near suitable. Not to mention, the house elves just seemed to be brainwashed into thinking their lifestyle is appropriate when it isn't."

Pierce pressed his lips together.

"What?" Hermione said noting his expression.

"What?" he looked over at her.

"You made that face, I saw it. What was that face for?"

"Oh well..it's just I think you have a valid point, but I..I just think not all house elves are treated poorly by their masters. You see...my father has an house elf and she's been with him since I was a boy. Her name is Pepper."

"Pepper?"

"Yes, and she's not just a house elf, she's part of the family I would say. She works with my father and John and they don't treat her badly. She really enjoys what she does and I feel like if she was ever taken from that environment she would probably go mental."

"But she's a servant."

"She doesn't see it as that. She just sees it as going to work everyday." Pierce tried to tell her. "Some house elves are abused for their servitude, that's true. But many of them really enjoy the work they do, Hermione. It's like they have a purpose."

"Being put to work shouldn't be their purpose to live."

Pierce looked down as he heard the girl's tone change to slight irritation. He didn't want to upset her because he knew that Hermione was quite passionate about her cause. 

"Alright."  he replied quietly. 'Well, whatever you need me to do to help with your cause, I'll help in anyway I can. Don't think that the competition has left me too busy to make time for you...and S.P.E.W."

"I saw you and Hermione today in the courtyard." Julius smiled as he sat beside Pierce in the Great Hall for dinner that evening.

"Are you stalking me, Julius?"

"Of course I am. I'm your best friend. It was in the job description."

"The fine print always gets me."

"Anyways, did you score any bonus points in your love triangle?" Julius asked him.

Pierce rolled his eyes. "It's not a love triangle and no. I don't think I made my way into Hermione's good graces as I tried to tell her about Pepper liking her life as a house elf in my dad's home. I'm pretty sure she just thinks that I'm mocking her work or something."

"She better not, I'm  pretty sure you're the only one who actually takes an interest in it."

Pierce lowered his chin to rest on the table.

"I'm pretty sure I'm the one who's going to end up with buying a crup pup as a life companion at the rate I'm going."