Chapter Forty

"This is all your fault, you know that, right?!" Pierce whispered harshly to Julius. The two had landed themselves in detention after their outbursts in McGonagall's class. She had the two working on several time consuming assignments inside the Transfiguration classroom. She had walked out momentarily, leaving the two alone. Julius was seated at the table across the away from Pierce as McGonagall separated them to avoid any useless chit chatter as she had placed it.

"My fault?!" Julius turned to him wide eyed. "How is this anywhere near my fault?"

"Because you don't listen!" Pierce told him. "I told you I didn't want to go on the date and the first thing you did was tell Nancy that we were going on a date!"

"Well, at least I got you a date! At the rate you were going you were going to end up a lonely spinster!"

"Maybe I wanted to be a lonely spinster!" Pierce growled.

"Oh sure, whatever." Julius shook his head and returned to his book, but only for a moment before turning back to Pierce. "You know, you should probably think about thanking me-"

"THANKING YOU? For what?!"

"For actually making some progress for you. All this gentleman nonsense is getting you nowhere fast. While you're setting your coat over the nearest puddle, Hermione's walking over it, on some other guy's arm. You're practically throwing her to other people rather than taking the initiative! At least, I'm trying to help you! But you, you're nothing but a stubborn arse!"

"Come say that to my face, you fusty nut with no kernel!" Pierce insulted him.

Julius jaw dropped. "Well then, you know what..."

The boy pushed back his chair and stormed on over to where Pierce was. Pierce didn't hesitate to stand up either to face his best friend who was slowly become his second best friend with every passing moment.

Julius got up in Pierce's face, his face full of anger as he stared slightly up at the other boy.

"You know, for someone who is considered a genius, you are one of the dumbest people I have ever met!" Julius snapped at him.

"Oh really?" Pierce folded his arms and waited for him to continue. "I'd love to hear your reasoning behind this."

"Because you might be book smart, I'll give you that, you have nearly everyone beat in that department, but when it comes to people, you're an idiot! An absolute idiot!"

"I am not an idiot." Pierce rolled his eyes at him.

"Then just admit that you fail at something. You're not good at making friendships or relationships for that matter. If it hadn't been for me talking to you first year, you'd probably still speak with no one to this day!"

"So being antisocial, somehow, makes me an idiot?" Pierce countered with a feign look of confusion which only made Julius angrier.

"No, not appreciating that some people are trying to help you and can help you and blowing them off makes you an idiot."

"Well, it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree, aren't we, Julie?"

"Don't call me that!"

"And what's going to happen if I do? Are you going to set me up on another date I didn't want to go on to begin with? Or are you going to continue to just call me an idiot and attempt to question my intelligence?"

"Oh you want to know what I'm going to do, do you, Holmes?"

McGonagall had heard the shouting from the two boys coming from the classroom, all the way down the corridors. The woman shook her head, knowing she shouldn't have left the two alone for more than five minutes. She had hoped she would be able to trust them to do their work and serve their detention quietly. But she scolded herself as she realized she had only set herself up for failure at that moment.

The two were yelling back and forth in the room when she arrived in the doorway, contemplating whether to give them both another detention, but on separate evenings or different times.

However, as she stood in the doorway, the shorter one of the two boys, Julius, stood as high as he could on his tiptoes in attempt to match Pierce's height as he continued to yell at him.

"Or are you going to continue to just call me an idiot and attempt to question my intelligence?!" Pierce yelled at Julius.

"Oh you want to know what I'm going to do, do you, Holmes?"

"Please, do tell!"

"No, actually, I don't think I will!" Julius shrugged his shoulders a bit.

"Wh-" Pierce looked confused but the next action would leave everyone confused that was present.

McGonagall was never one to get involved in students' personal affairs, but much to her own dismay, she always became involved as she somehow was always a witness. To see the two Ravenclaw boys kissing certainly caught her off guard. She wasn't the only one as Pierce's eyes went wide as he stared back at his best friend that was kissing him.

Seconds later, Julius pulled away. Neither one of them said a word as Julius walked over, grabbed his belongings and stormed out of the classroom. Professor McGonagall was enough shock that she couldn't even bring herself to say anything to stop the boy.

The two left in the classroom were quiet for a bit longer before Pierce looked up at the older woman.

"So that happened."

"That it did, Mr. Holmes." She responded.

"What do I do?"

"Mr. Holmes I have been teaching for many years, and I have encountered many different scenarios throughout my time, so many things fail to surprise me anymore. This, however, is not one of those things."

"So basically, I'm on my own on this one?" He sat back down in one of the chairs with a worried look on his face.

McGonagall walked over and patted his shoulder lightly.

"Rather than yelling at one another, you two should try talking." She suggested. "It's much easier on the ears, and people are less likely to get their feelings hurt. Depending on how you want to respond to this...whole event."

Pierce stared at the floor for a minute.

"I have no idea."