Chapter Twenty Nine

"No date?"

Pierce looked up at John.

"No date." he said again.

"But..surely some girls have asked you."

"They have...and don't call me Shirley."

John chuckled and made a face. "Why didn't you say yes to any of them Pierce?"

"Because I didn't want to go with any of them. The girl I wanted to go with...I was too late. But even so, I can't assume that she would have said yes anyways." Pierce told him as he straightened up his attire.

Not owning any dress robes since he was just a boy, Pierce needed something for the Yule Ball, and perhaps somehow, his words had gotten through to his parents. Or at least his father, since Sherlock was the one who handed John the money to take Pierce to get the dress robes before the Yule Ball.

"Is he still mad at me?" Pierce asked as he looked himself over in the mirror.

"He was never angry with you to begin with, Pierce." John told him.

"You expect me to believe that, John? He practically disowned me in the Hospital Wing."

"I think he was more upset with Moriarty's presence rather than with you."

"Sure didn't sound like he was mad at him."

"You know of the handful of people that are capable of getting under your father's skin, it's Moriarty and Mycroft..I still can't believe you invited both of them here. At least, Mycroft took a hint and left..but..Moriarty?"

"I honestly didn't expect him to show up, John. Really.."

"He would show up at the drop of a hat in order to torture your father in some way."

"Yeah well...is he still a suspect?" Pierce turned to the man.

"Of course he is. Your father has been working overtime narrowing down suspects, one by one."

"So, who does he think it is?"

John glanced around to make sure the coast was clear before discussing the matter any further.

"He believe that it's one of the staff members-"

"Of Durmstrang-"

"Of Hogwarts."

Pierce stared at John for a moment before glancing down at a thread on his robes. "So..a professor, right?"

"Yes?"

"Male or female?"

"Does it really matter, P-"

"Male or female?"

"Male. But all the females haven't been ruled out ye-"

"Yes they have." Pierce said. "If my father suspects a male that means that the females were ruled out long before. Hmmm...that's interesting."

"Well I-" John stopped himself and couldn't help but smile as he saw the same look on Pierce's face that Sherlock normally wore when he was deep in thought. There was no use in talking to the boy during those moments, knowing very well that he didn't like to be bothered either while thinking.

John sat down and waited patiently as Pierce continued to think over his father's thoughts on the situation. Eventually, Pierce shrugged it off, coming up with a few guesses of his own but he had no evidence, leaving him unable to accuse anyone.

"Come on now, we've got to get your ready for the ball!" John said clapping his hands together.

Dateless seemed to be socially unacceptable for the Traditional dance of the Tournament, but Pierce really didn't care as Professor Flitwick approached him about the situation.

"I'm sure any girl would be happy to dance with you, Pierce...or boy if that's what you prefer." the short man said.

"Honestly, Professor, I have no interest to dance with anyone. I'm happy to dance alone and don't worry, I know all the moves and steps." Pierce patted the man on the shoulder.

"Merlin, help this boy...and me." Flitwick whispered to himself as Pierce strolled on into the ball. He had to admit that the decor set for the winter themed ball was amazing. With Christmas upon them, the Christmas tree was decorated in the background and the illusion of snow fell from the ceiling, with an assortment of decorations.

"There you are!" 

Pierce turned around to see Julius and his date Vanessa, all dressed up. Vanessa's choice of a pale blue dress seemed fitting to the girl and Julius seemed to take her up on the offer to match her, with hints of pale blue mixed into his robes.

"You two look great." Pierce smiled at them.

"Thank you!" Vanessa said. "You look very handsome, Pierce. Do you not have a date at all?"

"Nope, it's just me, myself, and I. But I'm okay with that."

"What about the dance?" Julius said. "You're going to need a partner."

"I already have that covered." Pierce said.

"And now I'm concerned." Julius sighed.

"Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the night and have a Happy Christmas!"

Waiting for the dance to begin, Pierce looked around and caught sight of Hermione entering the hall her arm linked with Viktor's. The two made eye contact and at the risk of looking disappointed that it wasn't him that she was linked with, Pierce smiled in her direction and gave her wink before looking back down to his shoes.

To start off the ball, the Champions were called up. Taking center with the others and their dates, Pierce stood with confident stance as the other champions gave him odd looks at the absence of his dance partner.

Professor Flitwick shook his head before he turned to the band that would play the music they would dance to.

Pierce offered his hand to an invisible partner then took the position to lead the dance.

Without a dance partner's feet to worry about stepping on or wondering who was leading who, Pierce enjoyed his waltzing around the dance floor. Students laughed and pointed, but he continued on gliding across the dance floor without a care. He could hear Harry's date muttering out directions and complaining when he stepped on her toes.

When the music finished, Pierce bent over and placed a kiss on an invisible hand before walking over and plopping in a chair besides Julius and Vanessa.

The two stared at him for a few minutes lost for words.

"Lovely girl, she was." Pierce said grabbing a butterbeer. "Very light on her feet."

"You have a lot of problems, Pierce."  Julius laughed.

"Me? Let's address the real problem here, the dance floor is open to all and you two are still sitting here next to me. Go on!" he shooed them off to the dance floor before settling back in his seat.

He chuckled to himself as he watched Professor Dumbledore dance with Lady Maxime, Professor Sprout, and Professor McGonagall throughout the dancing.

"Should have asked him to be my dance partner."

"I think your solo dancing was quite lovely."

Pierce furrowed his brow before turning his head to the familiar voice.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the listening ear from the library. Finally, I'm able to put a face to a voice."