Chapter Twenty Six

"Well it's official. I'm dead. I'm done. My life is over. Just send me straight to hell in a handbag. I bid you adieu." Julius cried from under his blanket.

Pierce sat on the edge of his bed watching his best friend sob dramatically from under the blankets.

"Julius, you just have to ask a girl to the Yule Ball, not french your mother."

Julius ripped the blanket off of him. " It's worse. The girls at Hogwarts have no mercy, Pierce. They're just mean if someone like me approaches them."

"That's not true, I'm sure there is some girl in the castle that wants you to ask her."

"Yeah so she can have a shot at shooting me down like an animal."

"It's not that big of a deal."

"Yeah, for you!" Julius groaned. "You have girls asking you!"

"Alright look, the ball isn't until Christmas time, so we have plenty of time to get you a date, alright?"

"And what if they all say no?"

"If that's the case then I'll be your date." Pierce told him standing up and heading to leave the dorms.

"What?! You're one of the champions-"

"And technically I don't have a date myself-"

"That's by choice! Girls have asked you, you keep saying no."

"Well, at least they know how you feel right?" Pierce said.

Julius smiled. "You're not rejecting them for me, are you? Just because I can't get a date doesn't mean you have to turn down people?"

"Well besides you, there's only one other person I would rather take to the dance and I haven't asked her yet."

"Hermione Granger?"

"That's what I'm hoping for. But it would be a surprise if she hasn't been asked yet."

"Well you better get a move on it then!"

Shortly after the First Task, a little chaos had been let loose on the castle as the Yule Ball was announced to students. Many of them scrambling to grab a date like it was the end of the world if they didn't. But Pierce had better things to think of, like his mother being banned from Hogwarts Castle much to his relief. Not that it stopped the woman much from her reign of terror of innocent souls.

However, it was even more exciting that Mr. Moriarty or as Pierce affectionately called him "Jimmy Boy" had arrived to the tournament scene taunting his father every chance he got. John seemed convinced that Moriarty had something to do with putting Pierce's name into the Goblet, but Sherlock dismissed that idea quickly, knowing Moriarty couldn't have gotten into the school undetected. But it didn't mean that the detective ruled him out entirely. He was still a number one suspect, but Moriarty just seemed to be infatuated with receiving attention from the detective.

Pierce just  liked watching his father become uncomfortable, knowing the two men didn't have the greatest of history together as Moriarty tried multiple times to sabotage Sherlock. With Moriarty and Mycroft around Sherlock, Pierce held no pity for his father's predicament, but he did for John, who seemed to be struggling trying to help Pierce and his father. John was the only reason Pierce regretted driving his father mental, because he knew if Sherlock was worked up, John would be unbelievably stressed out.

It seemed everyone was incredibly stressed out Pierce but with the Yule Ball added to the mix, Pierce was hoping for some good news.

Already Lindsey had asked him close to twenty times in the span of two days, making Pierce walk the corridors carefully to avoid her. There seemed to be a couple of other girls that seemed interested but he just continued walking on his way, hoping to find Hermione.

Unfortunately, as he found the brilliant girl, he also found Viktor Krum speaking with her, with a smile on his face. Hermione had a smile on her face as well, and blushed when Viktor gave her hand a kiss and walked off with some of the Durmstrang students.

Pierce debated walking away as he tucked his hands into the pocket of his robe, but Hermione caught sight of him and immediately walked over.

"Hi." she greeted him.

"Hey." he replied quietly.

"Are you alright?" she asked picking up on his tone.

"I guess it's too late, huh?" he said twisting his foot back and forth and looking at the floor.

"Too late for what?"

"Krum asked you to the ball, didn't he?"

Her eyes widened slightly. "O-oh..were you..I...I'm sorry I didn't know-"

"No, it's okay, he was first. He beat me to it."

"I thought you were going with Lindsey-" she saw him flinch. "But I guess that was just what she was saying...Oh Pierce, I'm really sorry-"

"You don't have to be sorry, Hermione." he smiled at her. "I'm sure you'll have a good time with Krum.Um..I have to go...I have to go find Julius, but I'll see you in class."

"I.." Hermione frowned slightly. "Okay."

"Bye." he gave her a small wave.

"Welp, there goes that." Pierce plopped down beside Julius on one of the benches in the courtyard.

"Someone ask her already?"

"Yup."

"Krum?"

"Krum."

"Ick."

"I know. I don't even want to go to this thing." Pierce admitted.

"But you have to-"

"I know. I know. Doesn't mean I want to though. I hate large gatherings of people...it gets so loud."

"Well, don't worry, I'll be right with you to tell everyone to shut up."

Pierce laughed. "Thanks."

"So I guess we're going together then?" Julius chuckled.

"Yeah, we'll get matching dress robes and everything. Show everyone what they missed out on."

"Uh hi.." a voice interrupted them.

The two boys looked up to see a brown haired Slytherin girl standing before them.

"Yes?" Pierce eyed her curiously.

"Is it true?" she asked.

"Is what true?" Julius questioned.

"Are you still looking for someone to take to the ball?" the girl asked looking back and forth between them.

"Yes!" Julius blurted out.

Suddenly, the two boys found themselves surrounded by girls causing Pierce to scoot back alarmed by the attention as Julius seemed quite pleased.

"Alright, alright, calm down!" Pierce said throwing his hands out to back away the hoard of girls that were closing in on them."Now if we could just go about this in a calm and orderly fash- ARGH! Run, Julius!"

"Oh no, I am quite fine with this."