Chapter Twenty Four

Julius couldn't believe the results of the First Task, Pierce had managed not only to survive the dragon like the other champions had, but he managed to score favorably with the judges leaving him in second place behind Viktor and Harry that were tied for first.However, he had sustained horribly injuries from the dragon tossing him around the arena like a rag doll. He wound up in the hospital wing as soon as he exited the arena with his golden egg prize.

To Julius surprise, Rita seemed to be one of the first to reach her son's side as he nearly collapsed from the pain. But none of it seemed genuine on Rita's behalf as pictures were being taken of her assisting her son to his feet. Julius could tell Pierce was disoriented and out of whack with his injuries, because he was certain the boy would have wasted no time in telling Rita to get away from him.

Seven broken ribs, some internal bleeding, a severe concussion later, Pierce remained in the Hospital Wing under Madam Pomfrey's care. He slept during most of the healing, but definitely remained awake while his bones were on the mend as the pain was nearly unbearable.

Unsure of how many visitors Pierce would have once people were allowed to come see him, Julius made sure to be the first one around when Pierce regain consciousness. Sitting patiently by his best friend's bed side, Julius had witnessed Cedric and Fleur come in to have their burns treated, and John showed up as well.

The man looked completely solemn as he glanced down at the resting boy making Julius realize how shitty Pierce's parents really were as neither one of them had ventured inside the wing to visit. Sherlock remained outside, pacing back and forth. Whoever Moriarty was, had arrived during the tournament and had put some obvious stress of Pierce's father. But Julius couldn't find himself feeling sorry for Sherlock, if the man irritated him so, Julius was glad that the man was there.

"Has he woken up yet?" A voice startled him dragging him from his thoughts. He turned around to see Hermione standing by another bed glancing over in their direction.

"Eh..he's in and out a lot. He'll be awake for a minute or two then fall back asleep."

"I can't blame him," Hermione said. "I heard he had six broken ribs-"

"Seven." Julius corrected.

She gave him a small smile before pulling up a chair and sitting beside the boy.

"He was amazing out there, wasn't he?" Hermione asked him. "I would have never guessed the use of a Disillusionment charm and the conjuring spell. He did so well."

"He did." Julius nodded. "I just wish he didn't get hurt like he did, and i wish his parents would go awake as they haven't been the kindest either."

"Yes, I unfortunately witnessed Rita pretending to act like she cared for someone other than herself for a moment when he was leaving the arena. His father doesn't seem to be much better? Who is he again?"

"He's Sherlock Holmes, the greatest consulting detective."

"I've never heard about of a consulting detective."

"That's because he's the only one. Making him the greatest." Julius answered the way Pierce had done prior to the incident.

The two heard a groan and immediately turned their attention to Pierce who was stirring from his sleep.

He opened his eyes  and looked around before they fell on Julius and Hermione. A smile appeared on his face.

"Well, would you look at that?" he said. "I have visitors."

"Of course you do." Julius said.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked getting closer to the bedside.

"Fine, my body is a little sore but Madam Pomfrey was right, I don't feel like complete death even though the medicine tasted like it. Are those flowers for me?" Pierce lifted his head up slightly.

Julius turned slightly red before handing him the vase of flowers.

"Julius, did you really get me flowers?" Pierce asked, taking them into his hands and giving them a whiff.

"Well, I wanted to but I couldn't leave the castle grounds or anything to get them, so I totally took those from one of the other bed stands. But I'm glad you like them."

"Thank you. Have my parents been in here?"

"No. I'm sorry-"

"Thank goodness. It was bad enough Rita touched me when I came out of the arena, if I didn't feel like my body was shutting down right then and there I would have pushed her away."

"Well don't worry about them." Hermione said. "You should focus on getting rest and healing. I'm sure you didn't hear the great news, but you're in second place behind Harry and Viktor."

"You must be proud of them." Pierce told her.

"I'm proud of you too." she said quietly.

He gave her a kind smile and went to respond when the door opened and the adults filed in.

"Here we go." Pierce sighed.

"I bet you think you're rather clever for the stunt you pulled." Sherlock said approaching him.

"I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Did you think it would be funny to invite Moriarty here?Hmm..did you think it was all part of a game?"

"What? Do you not want to play?" Pierce pouted at him. "That's just going to hurt Moriarty's feeling."

"And to think I acknowledged you as my son earlier, but I take it back, my son would never do something so stupid!"

Hermione and Julius looked on in horror at the man's statement but Pierce remained emotionless. John stared at Sherlock in disbelief at his harshness.

"Are you done?"Pierce asked.

"I can't wait for you to realize the mistake you made."

"Is it comparable to the mistake you made over sixteen years ago?" Pierce said looking him in the eye.

Sherlock said nothing more before leaving out the wing entirely.

"Oh no...wait...come back..I thought we were having some breakthrough." Pierce called after him.

"Pierce..." John sighed. "Just continue resting, alright? Don't bother with him or anythig, ust rest."

The man left after Sherlock leaving Pierce alone with Julius and Hermione again. He adjusted himself in the uncomfortable bed before looking around.

"I wonder where Madam Pomfrey is? She said if I was a good boy and rested that I would get some ice cream."

Julius looked to Hermione.

"Well, at least we know he's feeling better."