Chapter Three

Pierce searched the train until he came upon his good companion, Julius Cohen lying across the seats on one side of a compartment. 

"Well, seems you've made yourself at home, already." Pierce said entering and plopping down across from the curly headed boy.

"You know me, I like my comfort." Julius said with a grin, as he tucked his arms behind his head.

"Yes, I know all too well. I'm surprised you don't carry a pillow around with you at all times."

"I would, but I think it would become unsanitary traveling all over the place. It would be nice though. Have a nice summer?"

"Is that suppose to be funny?" Pierce asked looking across at him.

"No, I hold hope that one day you'll tell me you had a nice summer with your parents." Julius told him.

"The only time I'll have a nice summer involving them, is with them being as far away from me as possible, and that's about it."

Julius wasn't fully aware of Pierce's parents but he was aware of how much Pierce disliked them, and normally offered a listening ear if Pierce chose to rant about them after spending a summer in hell. However, Pierce never spent much time discussing his parents especially when it came to being on the train or in school. The train and the school were his safe havens from home and he wanted to keep both places free of his home life problems.

As a response to Pierce's statement, Julius only offered a smile before returning to his resting position.

"You know Lindsey was looking for you just a few minutes before you showed up."

"I'm glad I missed out on that encounter." Pierce said slumping in his seat. "I do not have the wherewithal to deal with her right now."

"You should be nicer to the girl, Pierce. She's nice and she's pretty."

"She's also a few clowns short of a circus, if you haven't noticed. I can't stand having a conversation with her. She laughs at everything I say, even when it's far from funny. It's highly irritating."

"But...she's pretty."

"There's plenty of pretty girls at Hogwarts, Julius, but if you think she's so pretty why don't you sit down and chat her up. Because I can't be bothered to. I can't stand her. The way she laughs after every sentence, or how she twirls her hair, it's completely distracting."

Julius snorted.

"She only does that because she likes you."

"Well, I don't like her. Not in that sense anyways. I'm sure she's a very nice person and all but-"

"But your quest to find an intellect to match your level, has left you extremely bitter." Julius said.

"It has not." Pierce folded his arms. "Besides I don't claim to be that intelligent-"

"It's not a matter of claiming it, Pierce. You're bloody smart and everyone knows it, as much as you deny it for some reason. There is no sense in denying it, you're a genius."

"No, I'm not." Pierce said before looking out the window.

Julius didn't understand Pierce's resentment when it came to being referred to as a genius. Seeing as Julius would have seen it as a compliment if someone had called him a genius every once in awhile instead of a lazy bum.

But Pierce had his reasoning and Julius was certain it had to do with Pierce's parents. He didn't know much about them, but he knew that both of them had been Ravenclaws, he had learned that when Pierce had become highly disappointed to be sorted into the same house. At first Julius believed Pierce was upset because he didn't think he have what it took to be in Ravenclaw, but as the two boys grew to knew each other, Julius saw that Pierce was the shining example of a Ravenclaw. He just didn't want to be.

While he claimed not to be a genius, Julius certainly took note that Pierce valued intelligence, especially when it came to anyone that held a friendship with him, or attempted more. There was no denying that Pierce was a good looking boy, girls had developed crushes on him since first year, even some of the older school girls commented on his good looks. But if they didn't exceed Pierce's expectations in the department of intelligence, he didn't even bother with a second glance their way. Some girls gave up, but then there were the ones who were far more persistent.

 Like Lindsey Foire.

She was a decent looking girl in Hufflepuff who basically adored Pierce and nearly worshiped the ground he walked on. Pierce didn't like that at all, if Julius were to say he had a type, he believed Pierce liked a girl who had a brain and always spoke her mind.

"Anyways, I heard somethings are going to happening this year." Pierce spoke out again. Julius looked over at him.

"What kind of things?"

"I dunno. I didn't get the specifics, but something is happening.Enough so that my mother certainly took interest in it and she normally doesn't hold any interest in my education."

"Well now I'm curious."

"You and me both. Hopefully we find out what's the big mystery when we get to the school."

"I hope we find that out and I'm curious as to see who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor will be since Lupin left. I'm still completely bummed about him resigning."

"Me too."

"It's been a crazy four years. And on top of that, did you hear about what happened at the Quidditch World Cup? Death Eaters."

"Yeah I heard." Pierce replied.

It was impossible for Pierce not to hear about any events that occurred in the wizarding world.

"Well, there's a positive side to all of this, you know. At least we can never complain about being bored while at school." Julius said.

"Yet, you still manage to do so, every year."