Chapter Thirty One

"So Miss Drew," Pierce began as he led the girl out onto the dance floor. " Why are you talking to me now?"

"I have spoken to you before, Mr. Holmes." Nancy told him. "However, I don't think you are a very good listener."

Pierce pressed his lips together. "I have to admit, it's one of my many faults."

"So I've noticed." Nancy said with a smile. " I can't say I blame you very much, most people around here don't have a lot to say and those who do speak never seem to stop."

Pierce smiled. "That's exactly how I feel! Finally, someone who understands." 

She chuckled at his reaction. "Is that why you only speak with Julius?"

"Oh, not...Julius is a brother to me. He's been there for me since first year. I'd die for him, no questions about it."

"Wow, you must be very fond of him." Nancy said.

"I am. No shame in admitting that."

"No, there's no shame in it at all. That's how I feel about my friends Bess and George."

"Ah let me see if I remember them...Bess Marvin, she's a Hufflepuff."

Nancy watched him and gave a slight nod. "Correct."

"And George...short for Georgia...Fang?"

"Fayne."

"That was my second guess. She's Gryffindor?"

"That she is. So how is that you remember the names of the girls that do not even share the same house as you, but my name troubled you so?" Nancy questioned.

"I assure you it wasn't intentional, but I know their names by associating them with a memory."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, you see...back in first year at the quidditch match between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, your friend Bess spilled her hot chocolate on Julius and because Julius made a scene and yelled at her, which no offense, he was in his right. It was scalding hot. I got a bit on my hand and whew, can't imagine how it felt on his...other parts. Anyways, your friend Georgia got involved and it was just a complete mess. So yes, I remember their names quite well as Julius is not a fan of them."

"In George's defense, Bess is her cousin and anyone that messes with Bess well..is messing with George by default."

"Don't mess with Bess. The newest Hogwarts motto." Pierce mused.

Nancy laughed. "Exactly. Now, before we get ahead of ourselves and lost in conversation, why don't we make our way over to where Miss Granger is dancing and you can ask her for a proper dance."

"You seem very set on getting me to dance with her. Does my dancing with her benefit you in some way, Miss Drew?"

"Not in the sense you think, I just hated seeing you sit there when this is your night just as much as all the other Champions. I think Mr. Potter's night is a lost cause..."

The two looked over in the direction of Harry who was sitting beside his best friend, Ron, their dates nowhere to be seen.

"Yikes." Pierce said. "Well, we could always go and ask them to dance, you know if we really want to even everything out here."

"Yes, but which one of us will dance with Harry, did you hear his date cry out during the dance? He stepped on her feet all throughout the dance.'

"Oooh, I might have to leave that up to you, Miss Drew, after all, I have tender toes."

"Is that so?"

"I'm afraid so." he pouted at her. "But you can do it. I have faith in you."

For the rest of the evening at the Ball the two didn't separate as they continued to dance and converse with one another. Pierce learned a little about Nancy's life, such as losing her mother before she started Hogwarts, and living with her father Carson Drew and the housekeeper, Hannah Gruen. Her father was a lawyer and Hannah had basically become her surrogate mother over the years kinda like how John had become Pierce's only parent.

She impressed him with her knowledge of the French language and she seemed all too interested in Pierce's "mind palace" as she listened to him. 

They hadn't even noticed that the Ball had come to an end when Julius approached him with a sleepy Vanessa.

Julius eyed the two with a look before telling Pierce that he was going to walk Vanessa back towards the dungeons so she made it back safely.

Pierce was preparing to walk back to the Ravenclaw Tower with Nancy when he saw Hermione sitting on the steps outside the hall, a few tears rolling down her face.

He walked over abandoning Nancy's side for a moment and sitting down beside her.

"Are you alright, Hermione?" he asked her.

"Me? Oh, I'm fine." she quickly wiped at her face. "It's nothing."

"Well, I don't believe that for a second but if you do not wish to talk about it, I won't push the matter any further."

"Thank you." she said with a small sniff.

"Where is Viktor?" Pierce asked wondering why the girl was alone.

"I told him I needed some air."

"Ah well, I won't bother you anymore." Pierce told her. "Try and have a good rest of the evening, Hermione. You looked absolutely beautiful tonight, don't let anyone ruin the night for you."

"Thank you. Good night, Pierce."