Steve | Movie Night

Requested by: IAWLTRusher

*****

It was the weekly Avengers gathering. Even Thor had made it, crossing realms to be with the people he called his second family.

The popcorn was being passed around and dropped everywhere, the drinks were being poured and the atmosphere was light.

You'd all come to the agreement that you wanted to watch a movie in Tony's living room as opposed to the cinema simply because movie night was always casual and relaxed and filled with the occasional conversation filled with meaningless topics. However, today you had been particularly insistent on watching the movie out in the open after Bucky had suggested a horror movie out of the blue and everyone - aside from you - had jumped on the bandwagon and the weekly poll decided horror.

"Which one?" Tony asked, holding out DVDs.

Out of the five, it was eventually narrowed down to Mirrors, something you hadn't quite wanted. If you hated anything more than a classic horror movie, it was a supernatural, creepy, play-with-your-imagination type of movie. Those were the worst and you'd sworn off them until now. Your futile attempts to skip tonight weighed on you heavily as Tony slipped the disc into the DVD player. You were surprised it wasn't all pirated, but then again Tony had the money and Pepper as his moral compass.

"Guys, please," you said, trying to get them to reconsider.

"It'll be good!" Bucky tried to reason. Steve agreed, smiling reassuringly at you. Clearly the man hadn't watched many horror films. That, or he just never got scared anymore. What scared you now was that if people like Thor would exist, couldn't the evil things in this movie exist too?

You huffed, sitting down on the couch. 

As Tony got the DVD player to work, Steve walked over to you, deciding to sit beside you as opposed to on the floor where the popcorn and a comfy mattress was. When Tony had sat, the movie began to play.

*****

It hadn't even gone thirty seconds and your heart was already pumping fast, your senses on high alert. You didn't want to die via anything tonight, and you were glad that there were no mirrors in the living room. That would've sucked completely and you would've most definitely not been able to sit still for the rest of the movie.

Then the deaths began.

You flinched at the jumps scare along with the others. The only one seemingly unaffected was Bucky.

When you looked over to your left, Steve had his eyes wide open, mouth agape and pillow clutched in front of him. Clearly he'd never seen such good CGI. You pitied him slightly. It was a scary movie for you and you'd grown up on everything looking real.

*****

A quarter way through the movie, you noticed that Steve wasn't even looking anymore, hiding behind your shoulder. Pepper and Tony had moved to the floor in search of popcorn which had probably been engulfed and diminished by Thor. "Are you alright?" you asked, a little concerned. He seemed more frightened than he'd ever been and for a man who had a shield to protect him and even defeated the Iron Man, that was rather alarming.

He looked at you, eyes wary. "This is uh... Not what I expected."

You chuckled softly. "Welcome to horror films of the 21st century. It's some creepy stuff."

He nodded. "I see."

And then everyone screamed, making the both of you scream even though you hadn't been paying attention. Steve clutched you, legs lifting from the floor as he curled into a somewhat upright ball, shaking a little as he shut his eyes, pressing his face into your neck.

You couldn't help but giggle, putting your arm around him and rubbing his back.

"It's ok. It's all just CGI," you reassured as he looked away from the front, not wanting to face the screen. The sound effects were creepy enough with the toe curling screams and the sounds of mirrors. That would keep you out of the bathroom alone for a while. But then again, two deadly reflections wouldn't quite classify as any better.

"I'm not scared," he said, trying to not scare you. You saw right through the man.

"We don't have to watch it if you don't want. I'm more than happy to leave," you replied.

He nodded. "I... I think that's a good idea." But before either of you could leave, the lights turned on and the movie stopped. You frowned, looking over at the others who were all looking back at you.

"What?" you asked.

Tony shook his head. "Before I would've told you to get a room. But now I'm not quite sure I want to know that as a reality."

You rolled your eyes, trying to conceal a blush. "Tony, we're just friends."

You looked to Steve for help only to find the man blushing. Oh. Steve and Tony had clearly gotten close after the rift between them, and supposedly relationship advice was on the table.

Tony grinned. "Let's get serious here. Captain Stars - " A glare from Bucky stopped him from making any more jokes. "Pretty boy," was what he settled on, "likes you."

You raised an eyebrow, unsure of if this was real or not. You weren't going to lie and say that you didn't find Steve attractive in more ways than one. After all, when you'd first joined, he'd been the one who hung out with you the most and he'd also been the one who was always on the look out for you. Not to mention that the man was attractive purely physically. But none of that meant anything to you if he didn't feel the same way.

"I mean, sure we're friends," Steve said, looking down.

Natasha laughed. "Oh come on. You're not a good liar, Steve."

He was most definitely blushing like a tomato by this point. "We're just friends," Steve repeated before looking up at you. "Right?"

It was a highly tense moment because the man's heart was on the line here. Tony noticed, clapping to break the tension. "Alright. Everyone get out," he said, winking at you. "Let's give them some space."

The others let out chuckles as they left, Tony shutting the door on his way out.

Steve looked back at you before averting his eyes. You could feel the tension build up again.

He gulped before mustering the up the courage to speak again. "We're just friends? Right or wrong?"

You pursed your lips, holding a smile back. "Wrong," you replied.

It took quite a long moment for him to process what had just happened.

First, his eyes widened, before his jaw dropped. It was essentially the same face as the horror movie reaction, just without a frown.

Then he smiled. "So we're more than friends?" 

You nodded. "I like you, Steve."

He let out a breath. "Oh good. Me too. - I mean, I like you too. I - "

You rolled your eyes, grabbing him by the V of his shirt and pulling him to kiss you.