The parable of the two debtors

Luke 7:40-50
The parable of the two debtors
And Jesus answering said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." And he answered, "Say it, Teacher."
"A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?" Simon answered, "The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt." And he said to him, "You have judged rightly." Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven-for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little." And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Then those who were at table with him began to say amongthemselves, "Who is this, who even forgives sins?" And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
Today is the parable of the two debtors.
Simon is a pharisee who has invited jesus to eat with him, in his home. An uninvited guest appears, when she hears jesus is there. We learn just before this parable (luke 7:36-39) that simon called her a sinner, wicked and a woman of ill repute. In this parable we have 3 characters as we have here.
Jesus is the forgiving creditor, the self proffessed rightous man is simon who owes 50 denarii. The person who owes the 500 is the sinner. The woman in the parable.Simon's pharisaic sensibilities were shocked by the sinner's action and even more by jesus's attitude toward her.Always amazes me how the pharisee's couldnt see and hear who was in front of them but like simon who was so self absorbed and self righteous in his own goodness and importance, just doesnt get it!!he invites Jesus to eat at his house, not to learn from Jesus or to honor Him, this is proven by his lack of effort to supply the traditional courtesy of water to wash His feet. Jesus could have regarded this insult. He shows jesus no warmth or a kiss as was polite in those days culture. Also in those days custom among the jews was to pour oil on the guests head. It was a sweet or olive oil prepared to give off a pleasant smell, as well as to render the hair more smooth and elegant. This i think shows simons spirtual bankcrupcy. Although the woman was uninvited it was the custom at the time for an uninvited guest to join in as an observer. Her silence reveals her appropriate behavior,she came to learn from Jesus and receive forgiveness rather than to talk or eat. Knowing she was a sinner, she wept in repentance, washed Jesus's feet with her tears, and dried them with her hair. The "fragrant oil" was a mixture of various aromatic substances, far more costly and precious than the "oil" commonly used for anointing the head. A dramatically difference to simon's conduct and attitude, he shows "little" love, she shows "much." She expresses abundant appreciation for the forgiveness Jesus offers and openly displays her love for Him. What a contrast to Simon's disregard of even the customary welcome. Jesus wants Simon to realize that her loving and faithful attitude is what is required for forgiveness. His emphasis is on the words "you" and "this." Jesus could discern Simon's attitude. Simon saw nothing but the woman's past reputation. Jesus delicately and graciously exposes Simon's callousness, hatred, and poor judgment. He also points out to him the depth of her repentance and faith. Her past may have been full of sin, but because of her genuinely repentant ,love, and faith in Him, Jesus sees a desire in her to change from her old ways and begin living God's way of life. Simon's guests are surprised to hear Jesus taking on the divine authority to forgive sin. Even more than surprised probuably shocked and yet they still dont see our lord jesus christ as god. I wonder if (cant find any evidence of it) if even at this stage their minds are starting to plot against jesus. He has now revealed who he is and i know they dont like it. Jesus continues to says that it is her faith that brought forgiveness,not her tears, kisses, or ointment. His last comment to her is "your faith has saved you, go in peace" She receives jesus command to enjoy that peace and live in the full realization of the peace that passes all understanding. How wonderful would it be to hear those words from the lord. On the final day i would be privelaged and possibly shocked if i had the honour of the jesus saying that to me. We are all debtors in the sight of our just Creditor, we have all have sinned, we can discharge our debt by ourselves. Christ can forgive all who truly repent of their sins and turn to Him in faith. Through His willingness to take our debt with His own blood, we receive the remission of our sins. Once freed from sin's oppressive debt, we must show our gratitude to Him by living in holiness and loving service to others, glorifying Him in a life of true righteousness.