The parable of the The patched garment.

Matthew 9 :16 "No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch tears away from the garment, and a worse tear is made."
Mark 2: 21 "No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made."
Luke 5:36 " He also told them a parable: "No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it on an old garment. If he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old."
In the first parable in three with the same meaning though in different items used. The other two i have already posted the wedding and the wineskins. This is fairly simple parable. Basically, if you put a new patch on an old garment, when the new patch shrinks due to washing, it will tear away from the older garment, making the tear worse. Our pastor covered this in his message on sunday. He said " in christ we are made new. He doesnt take the good bits of the old person and patch it up. Christ makes us whole and new by repenting" i agree we are made new by christ at the cross.Jesus was speaking to the pharisee and on this parable illustrate the fact that you can't mix old religious rituals with new faith in Jesus. Jesus' disciples were not fasting along with the Pharisees and the pharisees were apalled at this. But it was because they were now under the new covenant of grace and faith in Christ. Jesus fulfilled the law; therefore, there is no longer any need to continue with the old rituals. Jesus cannot be added to a works-based religion. In the case of the Pharisees, they were consumed with their own self-righteousness, and faith in Jesus cannot be combined with self-righteous rituals. So we have been made a new garment by christ and this blood.
John 14:6.Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."