The Purpose of the Parables

Mark 4:10-12
The Purpose of the Parables
And when he was alone, those around him with the twelve asked him about the parables. And he said to them, "To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables, so that "they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand,lest they should turn and be forgiven." .
Some people think that Jesus spoke in parables, using illustrations from everyday life, so that the people he was speaking to could understand what he was saying. But actually i think it is the opposite, after months of looking at the 40 odd parables you find that it isnt always the way it looks. In jesus's own words, he spoke in parables so that the people would not understand what he was saying, and would not be forgiven. God only reveals spiritual truth to those he has chosen to save . Others hear the truth but are not able to understand it because it is 'discerned only through the Spirit ie it can only be understood as the Holy Spirit enables a person to understand it.
Speaking to his disciples Jesus said, 'The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you.' Because we, the disciples of Jesus Christ, have been chosen by God for salvation, we've been given his Spirit and can now understand spiritual truth.
I love the way jesus used everyday things for the parables. They may not be the things we know today but looking into the practices of that time made it more interesting and fun for me.