>> chapter 4

"Thank you Grant. You look...good as well," I squeak back my mock toughness faltering slightly.

He chuckles at this but ignores the opportunity to poke fun at me it seems, I mentally thank him for that. "So you've graduated. Congratulations, I never had a doubt in my mind," he spoke, his sentence was flawless, it was as if nothing on this green earth could shatter his confidence.

I nod to him. I'm surprised he did not make a snarky comment. Everyone knows I'm not the brightest when it comes to school. I had to reject the opportunity to have a normal college lifestyle and dive into only my studies. If it hadn't been for the late nights and tutoring sessions from Lola and Professor Romero I wouldn't be here right now. I'd be here but maybe not as a graduate.

A silence hangs between us and it seems to make everyone uneasy. Lola comes beside me and places a hand on her brother's arm. "Grant will you take a picture with me? I never see you!" She says sweetly.

Grant's eyes flickered to mine and then he smiles warmly at his only sister. "Of course Lo" –he retrieves his phone from his pocket and holds it out for me– "do you mind Harper?"

I shake my head and take the phone from his grasp. Our fingers graze and though it makes me inhale sharply it doesn't seem to faze Grant at all. He has an iPhone, the same as mine so it's easy to maneuver. When I click the home button and the screen lights up I feel a tightness in my throat. There on the background is a drop dead gorgeous blond mid laugh as Grant is kissing her cheek.

I try to blink away my shock as I slide the screen for the camera and hold it up. Grant moves in and wraps his arm protectively around Lola's waist and she throws her arm over his shoulder. They smile and I click a few pictures.

I clear my throat and hand Grant back his phone saying, "They all look good."

"Now you two!" Lola pushes, raising her eyebrows at me as if I should be making more of an effort.

I shake my head just as Grant shrugs and goes to hand his phone to Lola. "No, no-"

"Nonsense Harper. I'd like one with each of you ladies. I'm so proud," He speaks as he moves in next to me.

I try to keep us at a safe distance but Lola shakes her head motioning for us to scoot closer together as she says, "Come on, closer."

I feel Grant's hand move around my waist and pull me firm to his side. I contain my squeal but not the blush that spreads over my cheeks. I barely have time to smile awkwardly as Lola begins snapping photos. Being so close to him I can't help but get a whiff of his cologne. Damn he smells good. I think and quickly push it from my mind.

When Lola lowers the phone I step away from Grant, reaching up to run my fingers through my hair, straighten my dress, tedious things I can't help now that I'm completely flustered. "I think I should go back to my grandparents they don't know anyone," I start as I begin backing away.

"Well Tommy and Grant are taking me out for drinks tonight you should come," Lola says taking my hand. "I'd be devastated if you didn't, too much testosterone."

I can feel her pressuring me and I nod frantically. "Yea, okay, geez. After I take my grandparents to the airport," I tell her trying to break away from her death grip.

Lola smiles at me deviously in return and releases me. As I turn and begin back to my own family I feel myself relax. It's just drinks. Ignore him if you must. I tell myself. As I start to near my grandparents they're still speaking with Professor Romero. The poor guy probably didn't know what to do when those to old canaries came his way. When he sees me and points I smile to them. I push thoughts of drinks tonight to the back of my mind. I was too busy basking in the glow of my greatest achievement thus far.