>> chapter 23

I head through the house and out onto the terrace. There are banquet tables littering the perfectly mowed grass and a few white tents set up. There's even a small orchestra set up underneath one of them. There is far more people than I would've imagined and it reminds me of the gathering that took place after graduation.

I'm searching the crowd for any familiar faces. I catch sight of Mrs. Hamilton and her husband chatting with who I'd assume were nurses or doctors. The twins our play fighting near the food. Tommy is leading Denise to a few chairs and she looks winded. I can't fight my smile as I watch all of them. My second family.

My eyes pan over a few people and I spot Mindy's distinct blond hair. She's in a white dress that fits her body perfectly of course. She's laughing and speaking with a much older couple and showing them her ring. My hazel eyes snap to the person beside her and Grant is already staring back at me.

I frown at him as he just stares at me. His lips are pressed into a firm line and he his expression is unreadable.

"Might want to keep your eyes in your head," I hear Lola say and she startles me. She rocks her hip into mine as I jump.

I smirk at her and say, "Trying to give me a heart attack?"

"There's enough doctors here you should be fine," she laughs.

I missed this Lola. The always happy and bubbly girl who was my best friend. She's wearing a black dress with white detailing on it. Her dark hair flows down around her slender face and she's stunning as always. Sometimes I would get jealous of how effortless it was for her to look beautiful. I didn't have any issues with my own image but Lola was honestly breathtaking.

"A drink?" She says and I nod as I follow her into the swarm of people.

Unlike Lola I was new to all these faces. She had met at least a few of them on different occasions but I had never met any of Grant's actual colleagues. I suddenly felt nervous as if Mindy had the upper hand and that none of these people could ever like me. She's not a good person remember that! I try and tell myself but to no avail. She put her own job on the line protecting Grant. Didn't that make her a great person? Maybe she was threatening me because I'm a challenge. What if Mindy really did care?

I didn't have much time to continue thinking because soon Tommy was wrapping his arms around me.

"Harper you made it," Tommy said matter-of-fact-ly. Was there a reason to have doubts?

I giggle and nod at him saying, "Of course how could I miss out on a lovely picnic and donating to a wonderful cause?"

"And fun games!" Tommy adds with a snicker.

I was in a dress but I'd be up for a few games, maybe even a three legged race. Lola returned suddenly with two champagne flutes and I hadn't even realized she'd gone.

I took a sip and as I turned back to Tommy I noticed Grant coming up behind him, Mindy right behind. Oh great.

I forced a smile as I said, "Hey guys! Lovely picnic!"

"Isn't it? It took Aubrey and I all week to plan but I think it turned out fantastic," Mindy said and I could hear the entitlement in her voice. Just because she was calling Mrs. Hamilton by her first name didn't make her better than me. Wait, why did it matter in the first place?

Grant seemed to sense the tension because he places a hand around Mindy, to my distaste, and smiles at me. "You made it just in time for the egg and spoon race," Grant snickered and I glared at him playfully.

"I'm always up for a challenge," I say triumphantly and I feel Lola move to stand beside me.

"I'll be her partner!" She announced happily and I couldn't help but grin at her.

Within minutes there was a line of us set up in a clear part of the backyard. The goal was to carry the egg on the spoon to your partner who would then have to carry the egg to a cutely set up nest. There are three laps to the race and for each egg that made it successfully to the nest a thousand dollars would be donated to the children's hospice that was within the large hospital. The team that's able to get all three eggs back first would win a gift card to a local yogurt shop. One Lola insisted was a must have.

I had removed my sandals and stood barefoot in the fresh grass. I glanced and on either side of me were Mindy and Tommy, Malcolm was a person down. Denise insisted on being Tommy's partner so I as excited to see how she'd play at four months. There were a few other teams but I didn't recognize any of them.

Mrs. Hamilton stood off to the side with a megaphone. "ON YOUR MARKS...GET SET...GO!"

We all began to speed walk through the grass. My eyes were fixated on my egg as I tried to book it towards Lola who was screaming incoherently at me among everyone else.

"You're quite quick!" I hear Mindy snip from beside me and I fight the urge to glare at her.

I take a few quick paces and find myself ahead of the blond poodle. "What can I say!" I responded with a smirk.

Mindy and I were pretty neck and neck for each round. Malcolm taking the lead against all contenders and Tommy taking last due to Denise's slow pace. It was down to the third egg and the friendly competition became a heated dual between myself and the blond.

As we readied ourselves to hand off to Lola and Grant I noticed Mindy moving in too close to me.

"Shoving's against the rules," I say with a quick side glance at her.

She laughs almost maniacally as she shoves into me. "Rules are for the weak!"

I glare at the blond and move to lean back into her. As our shoulders brush I feel myself lose my footing. In what felt like slow motion I go tumbling forward and the egg flys from my spoon. My arm catches on Mindy's leg and she goes down as well. Both of our eggs fly towards Lola who dodges out of the way.

I lay flat in the grass for a moment to wallow in my embarrassment. Soon I prop up on my elbows and glare at Mindy who is still face down in front of me. Dumb blond poodle! I think and I resist the urge to climb on top of her and yank at her gorgeous blond hair.

Suddenly she shoots up and begins sobbing. "MY DRESS!" She cries and Grant hurries to her side. As he helps her stand I can see that there is a large grass stain down the entire front of her white dress.

I grimace at how big it is before I stand and take a look at my own dress. The green markings aren't nearly as bad but they're definitely noticeable.

Lola swoops in and examines it with a frown. "I have clothes in the house I'm sure we can find you something," she says and I glance around. The picnic continues as normal and no one seems concerned with the four of us. Lola suggests for Grant and Mindy to come with us probably to supply her with clothes as well. It's her fault this happened.

I glance over and watch as Grant tries to console Mindy. I frown at how quickly he went to her and the concern he's showing her. His eyes find mine and he returns my expression.

This was becoming unbearable.

A/N: hello all! Thanks for reading thus far! Sorry for this crap chapter but your comments and votes will make me feel better about it!

xo