>> chapter 28

I drum my fingers on the roof of my car. I had texted Grant over thirty minutes ago telling him to meet me in parking lot D of the hospital. I prayed Mindy hadn't intercepted him but I doubted that completely. She seemed more eager to escape the hospital than I did.

   My eyes scanned the lot again, if it weren't for the overhead lights I might not be able to see anything. After a moment I see the silhouette and then Grant comes into view. He was walking towards me in blue scrubs like Mindy's with a light jacket. Once he realized I had seen him he ran up to me and I met him part of the way. He wraps his arms around me and sighed in relief.

   "I thought you were never going to want to speak to me again," Grant spoke, his voice shaking.

   I laughed lightly though my eyes were filled with sadness. "I had some things to work out but I was nervous you didn't want to see me."

   Grant laughed and his eyebrows pulled together. He looked worn down. I assumed the mixture of work and the emotional roller coaster we were on wasn't very good for either of us. "Like what?" He asked as he reached to push a few strands of my hair behind my ear and I leaned my face into his palm.

I shook my head mumbling, "It's a long story." I smile fondly at the fresh memories with Lola and Pete. My lips tug down into a frown at the thought of Mindy and everything that had occurred with her. "I need to hear you say it. Say that you're done with her and that there's only us," I say, suddenly becoming stern.

   Grant seems a bit surprised and then sighs sayings, "I told you Harper I can't just expect Mindy to break off the engagement. She could use everything against me. I could lose everything, including you."

   "Say it," I demand to both of our surprise.

  He seems to mull over the thought but when his dark irises find my hazel ones I see a spark. He seems defeated but in a good way. His lip quirks up into a weak smile. "I'm done. There's only you," he speaks as his hands reach to grip my cheeks.

   "Only us," I whisper.

   "Only us," he confirms before leaning and pressing his lips to mine in a sweet kiss.

   My hands wrap around his forearms as he holds me still for a moment. I lose myself in the kiss and how much the touching of lips can tell me. It was fascinating how the simplest kiss from the most complicated man could make everything make sense. I pout slightly when he pulls away from me.

   I reach into my jean pocket before I take his hand. I slip Mindy's engagement ring into his palm and not once do I look away from him. He glances down at the ring and then back up at me, a look of utter shock on his beautiful face.

   "Only us," I say again but this time with much more confidence. My lips pull up into a grin and it must be infectious because Grant is grinning as well.

He pockets the ring before asking, "Do I even want to know how you got that?"

I shrug at him. He'd find out soon enough if Mindy planned on talking to him as soon as she mentioned. I moved to wrap my arms around his waist and it felt strange. There were no longer obstacles keeping us apart but still I felt unnerved. I couldn't help but feel like I needed to keep my guard up.

Grant's hands grip my arms and he just smiles at me. He probably feels the same unsettling feeling. "I guess I should ask you on a date?" He laughs.

"I think we're way past that," I respond before I tilt my head for another kiss. Grant obliges and places his lips to mine.

"You have no idea how happy I am. I've waited so long for this Harper," Grant murmurs against my lips.

I can't fight my face splitting grin as I press my forehead to his. "Long enough I think," I giggle back. I could hardly believe that this was happening. I had him.

And I had no intentions of losing him.

A/N: we have come to an end tonight but things can only continue for the lovely Harper! Please look forward to the preview and prologue for Love and Love in the following part!

As always please comment, vote, and share!

Thank you all very much!

xoxo