>> chapter 9

The next week and month flew by. My time in Arizona now behind me and at some points I pondered if I'd ever return. Leaving the apartment I spent two years of my life in was surreal it felt like leaving home almost.

   Spending quality time with my grandparents was heavenly as always, I'll miss them so much.  We went shopping and created memories for me to take with to Minnesota. I can tell just how proud they are of me and my achievements. It makes me happy to know I overachieved their expectations.

   We had a farewell barbecue for me before I left. I was showered with gifts and money, the rest of my family being equally as proud of me.

   Leaving was bittersweet and I wished my parents could've been here to see me. See what I had become. Part of me wasn't bothered because I knew my life might've been different. Everyday I wish they were still here but I'm also happy I was able to move on though it took me some time to remember how to actually live life. They were my best friends after all.

   I found an apartment right near the Mississippi like Grant had suggested. It was a little out of my price range but my grandparents agreed to pay the difference. It also wasn't but fifteen minutes from the studio I'd be interning at.

   I could barely believe it. It was mid June and in the next few days I'd be starting at the studio. It was too good to be true. A great feeling.

   Tommy was carrying up the last box to my small apartment. I paid the truck driver and waved as he drove off. I followed Tommy inside, removing the door stoppers on my way. I walked into the apartment behind him.

It was a little bigger than my apartment in Arizona but it nearly had the same layout. The only difference was the kitchen faced the opposite direction and had a granite island and my bedroom was down the hall and around the right corner unlike before. Most of the trimmings were beige and white which meant I could keep my white vintage theme.

   "All done!" Tommy announced as he emerged from my bedroom and into the living room. I was sitting on the white leather love seat beside Lola. I cracked open a beer for him and placed it on a coaster on the glass end table. We were all dressed in tattered clothing, the perfect clothes for moving.

   I smile at Tommy as he lifts up his beer saying, "Thanks so much for taking off work to help. I'm bummed the twins couldn't stay."

   "They have lacrosse practice anyway, travel league," Lola stated before swigging from her own beer.

   Tommy shrugged and smiled saying, "It's nice to get out. Denise is going a little bat shit."

   "TOMMY!" Lola shouts, glaring daggers at her brother.

   I can't help but laugh at the way Tommy cowers away from her. "Sorry but it's true. Pregnancy does not agree with her. Doesn't mean I love her any less." His attention shifts to me and after another swig of his beer he asks, "No Grant? He would've loved to help."

   I stiffen at Tommy's question unsure of how to answer. After the incidents in Arizona I hadn't spoken to Grant but I had noticed the change of relationship status online and more pictures of him with Mindy. They seemed content and happy and I assumed my arrival might put some sort of strain on that. Why was I thinking I had such an effect on Grant? Maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself.

   I shrug. "I thought he'd be busy at the hospital," I lie. I knew Grant could come and go as he pleased, he was a top surgeon on his way to leading his entire division in the hospital. Lola kept me very up to date on his daily life.

   "No she thought he'd be off canoodling with that hag," Lola grumbles, taking a long drink from her beer. She had also informed me of her extreme dislike for Mindy. I assumed it was only because somewhere in her beautiful mind she envisioned me with Grant.

   "Woah Lo not nice. Mindy's really sweet. Mom adores her," Tommy says.

   I lean back into the love seat. If Tommy likes her she must be great. I think suddenly feeling even worse for what happen between Grant and I.

   Suddenly my phone vibrates and I hold it up to see a text from an unfamiliar number.

   Unknown # 1:35pm: wow moving in without me. Mean.

   Harper 1:35pm: who is this?

   Unknown # 1:37 pm: And you didn't save my #. Double hurt. Grant.

   I freeze and quickly tuck the phone under my thigh. I assume Grant heard from his siblings that I was moving in today. I quickly wonder how he got my number. Lola and Tommy were still going back and forth about Mindy so I decided it wouldn't hurt to indulge. I quickly save Grant's number under the name 'Demon Doctor' and reply.

   Harper 1:40pm: how did you get my number?

   Demon Doctor 1:42pm: I've had it. How'd the move go? You pick the view?

   He's had it? So he's had my number ever since that weekend? Makes sense, who goes out of their way to delete a contact. I clearly didn't block his number.

   Harper 1:45pm: it went fine and yep the Mississippi is practically within reach.

   Demon Doctor 1:48pm: well I'm working and I feel like a teenager texting. Let Tommy and Lo know drinks tonight. Feel free to come :D

   I shudder and it catches Lola's attention. She raises a curious eyebrow at me and I flush instantly.

   "What?" She asks, her dark eyes prying me for answers. The entire Hamilton family could be intimidating. They were gorgeous, frightening, confident people. They had every right to be the way they were.

   I swallow hard before saying, "Grant just wanted to know if we were all up for drinks. I was going to sit out but you two should call him."

   Lola's face perks up and I know she is going to try and force me to go. I had to stand my ground I couldn't let this petite little smooth talker get to me.

A/N: heeeelloooo I apologize for no chapter yesterday I was visiting friends!

Well let me know what you guys think!
xo