>> chapter 16

"Thank you so much for dinner Pete. It was delicious," I gush as we walk down one of the many city streets of Minneapolis. Small shops, bars, and small businesses line the street and I glance around at this beautiful place that I call my new home. Lola was lucky to have grown up in such a bustling city. Much better than growing up on the outskirts of Fort Wayne.

   Pete shrugged, shoving his hands into his jean pockets. "It's nothing. You can pick up the check next time," he jokes, flashing me his boyish grin.

   I nod saying, "Deal."

   The weather was decent for the middle of June. I wore a simple black blouse and dark skinny jeans. A go to outfit for me. Pete was dressed pretty similar in blue jeans and a light blue top. He looked deliciously handsome as usual. I wondered if he just rolled out of bed looking so good.

   "Is there something on my face? You're staring," Pete smirks at me.

   I flush and quickly turn away, pulling a few loose strands behind my ear. "No I'm not," I lie with a playful smirk.

   Pete just laughs and just like Grant I wish I could tell what he was thinking. "A drink?" He questions as he slows near a bar, jerking his thumb in the direction of the entrance.

   I nod seeing as we were both off tomorrow a drink or two couldn't hurt. Pete was driving so I didn't have to worry about drinking too much.

   We walked to the back of the line, waiting to get in. Pete slung his arm over my shoulder and I snuggled a little closer to him. This had been one of the first good evenings since I spoke with Grant and I was actually thinking things might change.

   Of course like most things it was short lived because Grant came walking out of the front entrance, his phone pressed to his ear. I squeaked and turned, pushing my face into Pete's chest nearly knocking him over.

   "Woah woah you okay?" He asked, his hands hovering just over my back. He probably wasn't sure if he should hold me or not.

   I look up at him and blink a few times before I grin awkwardly. "Yea. No everything's peachy," I say with a grimace. "I just wanted to face you that's all," I lie giving him a nudge in the chest as I shuffle backwards to avoid turning around.

   Pete shrugged saying, "You are interesting Harp."

   I slightly turn my head, glancing around to see if Grant is still outside. We lock eyes and I turn back to Pete, reaching for his hand.

   "This place seems dead why don't we try another bar?" I offer yanking on his arm slightly.

   "Harper?"

   Shit.

   I turn with a wide smile and say, "Oh Grant Heeeeeeey!"

   Grant is dressed in a dark quarter sleeve and jeans. These guys knew how to wear jeans, they always hugged them in just the right way.

   Grant's eyes flicker from me to Pete and a devious smirk spreads on his lips. "Who's this?" Grant asks and he mocks as if his feelings are hurt.

   I place my hand on Pete's chest as I move to place an arm around his back. "Oh this is Pete. My date," I say smirking back.

   I see a glint of what I can only assume is jealousy in Grant's eyes and it is a satisfying feeling. Take that bastard. I think and I mentally high five myself.

   Pete interrupts our hostility when he offers a hand to Grant. "I work with Harper at the station," Pete says his ever positive attitude was something to be envious of.

   "I'm Grant. Lola's older brother," Grant responds, his politeness is professional like a doctor speaking with a patient.

   Pete nods as he says, "The surgeon? Lola talks about you a lot. She's one proud sister."

   "He's not that great," I chime in, rolling my eyes.

   Grant smirks at me. "I beg to differ Harper. Last time I checked you thought I was wonderful," Grant said in a smug manner.

   Prick! I think as I get the itch to punch Grant square in his pretty little face. I flush and angrily shake my head. "Isn't Mindy inside waiting for you?" I question changing the subject entirely.

   "You're right. Maybe I'll see you two inside" –he extends his hand to Pete again– "but if I don't, it was great meeting you!" Grant side glances at me with a smirk and I stiffen suddenly.

   We watch Grant head to the door, flash his stamped hand and enter. There's an awkward silence between Pete and I and it is nerve racking. I could only imagine the things that were swimming through his mind. What he probably thought the relationship between Grant and I were. What exactly was that relationship anymore?

   "We can go back to your place?" Pete suddenly suggests and I suspect it's because he can tell I've become uncomfortable.

   I nod frantically saying, "Yes that would be great!" I snatch his hand into mine and I can see the slight surprise that crosses his face.

I drop my keys onto the counter and head to the kitchen. I pull two beers from the fridge and turn to Pete with a smirk. "Would you like to indulge?" I question.

"Why yes I'd love to," Pete laughs back and I watch as he moves to sit on the love seat. He was graceful and confident, but that wasn't surprising.

I slide off my flats and kick them to the side as I head to the love seat. I nod in the direction of the coasters and Pete sets them up. I place the beers down as I take a seat, propping one leg beneath me.

I reach for the remote and click on the tv. I scan quickly to some movie channel that plays classics. Black and white films were my favorite.

"Classics?" Pete questions as he lifts his beer.

He watches me intently as I answer, "Yep I used to watch them with my dad growing up. It's just kind of something I love to do now."

Pete just nods and I shift uncomfortably. He was normally bubbly and energetic. A lot like Lola which is what attracted me to him but suddenly he was quiet and listening.

"My parents died" –I blurt out– "almost five years ago," I say panicky before I grab my beer and take a few chugs.

Pete reaches for my beer and lowers it smiling sadly. "I'm sorry Harper but don't be nervous. You don't have to tell me anything that makes you uncomfortable," he said sweetly.

You're making me uncomfortable you beautiful dummy. I think as a blush spreads over my cheeks. I glance away and pull a few brunette strands behind my ear. "Sorry yea that was weird. It's surreal to think sometimes that they're actually gone. I'm used to it though," I speak honestly with a shrug.

"I don't know what I'd do if I lost my parents," Pete speaks and he sounds saddened. His hand is resting on my thigh but not in a way that suggests anything, just because it's comfortable.

I place my hand over his and smile at him. "I wouldn't want anyone to feel how I've felt," I say.

   We sit in silence watching the black and white movie on the flat screen. The quiet between us isn't awkward or filled with tension,  it's comforting. I shift and Pete turns himself so I can rest comfortably between his legs. He wraps his arms around me and I can't help but smile.

   I focus on his steady breathing and the way his heart beats in his chest. It's soothing.

   My eyes grow heavy as I speak, "Thanks for tonight."

   I feel Pete press a kiss in my hair as he whispers, "No problem Harp."

   As I begin to drift my heart aches. It aches because as much as I want to let Pete in I can't. I can't shake these feelings for that demon Doctor.

A/N: Pete is the sweetest!
Tell me what you guys thought of the chapter!
Also thanks for supporting and reading the story thus far!