>> chapter 14

"What are you doing here?!" I ask my mouth hanging agape as I stare at Grant. My eyes flicker to the bottle of champagne in his hand and then back up to his dark eyes.

Though I was beyond angry that he showed up here I had to admit he looked so good. A quarter sleeve dark green shirt and dark jeans that hugged him just right. His eyes were moving over me and I grew nervous under his stare.

He cleared his throat, his eyes meeting mine and I notice the slightest hint of a blush. Was he nervous? "Lola told me what Mindy said the other day. I assumed that's why you didn't come out last night. I brought you this" –he went to hand me the bottle– "as a present for your internship starting and the apartment."

I took the champagne and he ran his hand through his hair. Besides the alcohol this image felt so familiar. And that's when the memory came back to me. He was waiting for me to invite him inside, just like that night.

My head told me otherwise but my mouth acted on its own, "Oh. Why don't you come in? I don't want to drink alone." Yes you do you idiot! You're making a huge mistake. I mentally slap myself but I can't help but show some hospitality.

Grant seemed shocked by my invitation but he didn't want to lose his opportunity. He took advantage and stepped inside. I nervously watched him but once he was inside I closed the door and headed into the kitchen.

"How do you like the new place?" I called while I reached to pull down two glasses.

Grant only hummed in approval, he sounded like he was over by the window. I turned and watched him as I opened the champagne and began filling the glasses. He had his hands in his pockets as he just examined around. It looked a lot like my apartment from Arizona so I didn't expect much of a reaction.

I cleared my throat as I headed back towards the living room and he turned and smiled at me. I handed him his glass and then held mine to his. "To new beginnings," I say, I feel it's appropriate.

"To new beginnings," Grant mimics and we both drink the entire glass. Does that mean he's as nervous as I am? The blush, the awkwardness, the need for a drink. It was unsettling.

I flush and mumble, "I'll get more." I head back into the kitchen and start pouring two more glasses. "So what did Lola say?" I ask genuinely interested in what web she spun.

Grant simply shrugged and moved to sit on the love seat. "Nothing too important just that Mindy sort of threatened you. Lola told me that you said she didn't have to be worried," He said leaning back.

I moved to sit beside him, making sure there was a good amount of distance between us. "It's true. I do see Mindy's point though. You did kiss me and we do have a history," I state the obvious.

"This is true. So you don't think Mindy needs to be worried?" He questions, raising his eyebrow in curiosity.

What was he getting at? I shift uncomfortably and nod. "She doesn't. We're friends remember? It was a simple mistake." Like what you're doing right now. I wanted to add but I kept quiet.

   Grant makes an o shape with his mouth and turns to drink his champagne. I wish I could read his mind, know what was going on in that beautiful skull of his.

   "Do you think she should be worried?" I finally ask, tapping my fingers along my glass.

   Grant looks at me and I keep my eyes fixated on my glass. I feel him shift and then his hand is pushing a few loose brown tendrils behind my ear. A blush spreads across my face and to the tips of my ears. I stay where I am refusing to move. My breathing quickened and I parted my lips.