>> chapter 17

I sit across from Lola as we sit outside a small diner down the street from the station. She looks exhausted from her late night and early start. I hadn't yet told her about my date with Pete and how fantastic it was. The change of pace was just what I needed, I hope.

   She sipped her coffee and sighed heavily. For the first time in our friendship I could tell something was taking its toll on this usually bright individual. Lola definitely needed some pepping up.

   With her birthday approaching this weekend I planned for a surprise party with her mom thinking that Lola deserved one. She was always doing so much for everyone it was time she got something for herself.

   I slide my hand across the table and grip her hand, her manicured fingers curling around mine. "You got this Lo. You'll have your own time slot before you know it. You have to remember we just started," I tell her reassuringly.

   "I guess it's worth it. So how was your night? You go out?" She asked and I could tell something was off in her voice.

   Grant?! That bastard. I mentally grumble as I can picture his texts to Lola. He would probably make it seem like I was all over Pete. I guess that's slightly true since I was trying to get a rise out of Grant.

   I shrug as I fiddle with my stirrer in my coffee. "Not much. Just went out to dinner with Pete," I mumble trying not to make it seem like such a big deal.

   "Surprised you told me," Lola says flatly and when I glance up from my coffee she's glaring at me with arms folded.

   "Oh come on Lola I know you. If I would've told you yesterday you probably would have freaked right there in the station. Nothing happened just dinner and a drink," I tell her, returning her glare. I wasn't going to let her make me feel bad for this.

   She rolled her perfect dark eyes and like her brother they held so many emotions I couldn't read. "Whatever it's fine. I was just mad that I had to hear from Grant, he said you two looked...sweet," Lola said crinkling her nose slightly with a small smile.

   I run my fingers through my hair and shake my head. "It's not like that. Just a dinner between friends. Grant's just being..." I trail as I try to find a word to describe him. His usual demon Doctor self?! Is what I wanted to say.

   "Grant," Lola settles.

   I nod, "yep just being Grant."

   I try smiling at her weakly my eyebrows knitted together. "Let's not talk about guys. I don't need to think about that stuff," I tell her honestly. I didn't even want to imagine her reaction if I told her Pete was coming over for dinner.

   Lola smiles vaguely at me and nods. "You're right and Melanie wants me back tonight to go over some material," she says and I get the strong feeling that she's not being honest.

   "Right, then let's hurry," I say trying not to make it obvious that I'm hurt.

   "That should be fine Mrs. Hamilton," I say into the phone as I move around my kitchen. I take a step to my right and my hip collides with the island counter for what seems like the hundredth time this evening. I hold in my swear as the older woman speaks on the other line.

   I can hear the excitement in her voice as she says, "Oh Harper I'm so happy you've planned this! Lola will love it!"

   I grimace at her words knowing Lola and I haven't been on the greatest of terms it seems. Since we started at the station she hasn't really spoken to me aside from the car rides to and from work or the occasional lunch. Getting her to grab coffee with me this afternoon was a challenge in itself.

   "You know Lola's my best friend I want her birthday to be perfect. But alright I have to finish dinner. Tell everyone seven thirty and I should have Lola to the house by eight fifteen," I tell her with a smile.

   "Of course honey!" She responded before hanging up the phone.

   I swear as I hurry to the stove and move the stir fry from the burner. I don't know why I agreed to make dinner for Pete and I tonight. He convinced me in my sleepy haze. That sneaky handsome minx.

   As if my thoughts summoned him I hear the buzz of the front door to the apartment complex. I wipe my hands on a hand towel before moving to the intercom.

   "Pete?"

   "The one and only!" He laughs.

   I buzz him up and pull the door ajar so he knows he can just walk in. I scamper back to the kitchen to finish up our meal. Chicken stir fry with some cheap white wine I grabbed while grocery shopping. I hadn't even checked the label. I suddenly became self conscious and worried if that was too much.

   "Man it smells fantastic!" Pete says and I turn to see him shrugging off his jacket. He's in shorts and a baseball tee and man does he look good.

   My cheeks burn and I turn quickly, pretending to study the wine bottle. "I wasn't sure if you wanted wine so I bought a bottle but there are beers in the fridge," I say absentmindedly.

   I squeak when I feel Pete's arms wrap around my waist and he plants a kiss on the back of my head. If I thought my blush was going anywhere it definitely wasn't, I was positive my face was bright red now.

   "Whatever's fine," he says as he nuzzles into my neck.

   I squirm until he finally releases me and I turn to him. "Woah Pete. We work together," I say which really meant, my best friend is into you and if she saw this she might die.

   Pete shrugged leaning onto the kitchen island. He reached over and snagged a red pepper slice from the stir fry and popped it into his mouth. "So? I told you I like you Harper and from yesterday I thought it was mutual," he says innocently.

   "I mean that's sweet but–"

   "We fell asleep on your couch and you're making me dinner? I thought we were more than coworkers by now?" He raises his eyebrow. His expression shows he's hurt by my words.

   I step closer to him and place my hand on his arm. "I just don't want to commit to something," I tell him.

   Pete nods before he smirks at me. "Whatever you say. Let's eat!" Pete announced, clapping his hands together.

   I motion towards the bar stools that were beside the island and we both take our seats.

   "Don't judge okay? I've been trying out some of my mom's old recipes," I tell him with a slight nudge before I reach for the two plates and begin making Pete's.

   "Harper, most important thing to know about me" –he leans and presses a kiss to my cheek– "I'll eat just about anything," he says playfully.

   I place his plate down for him and I can feel my blush deepen. Get your head out of the gutter. I think, mentally kicking myself.

   This felt so normal. So right. So why was I wishing he was here instead of Pete?

A/N: so after countless searches I have selected Sean Faris as the actor to portray Pete.

It was definitely between him and Robbie but I felt Sean had the sweeter appearance that Pete kind of portrays. Let me know what you guys think! I will be adding him to the cast list when I make time!

Still need an actress for Lola. Any ideas?
As always your votes and comments are always appreciated!