>> chapter 19

"I'm sorry you got dragged to this dinner Harp," Lola mumbled from the passenger seat.

   I shook my head as I pulled into the driveway of her parents relatively large house. Big enough to fit five kids and a few dogs comfortably. Their backyard was what I loved most about the house, it was so free and open.

   "No worries Lola. It's my best friend's birthday. I wouldn't be anywhere else," I tell her honestly.

   We climb out of the Honda and head towards the front door. Lola was wearing her navy dress and heels and I decided on the comfortable black dress I had worn for graduation. It was my favorite after all.

   She turned her key in the door saying, "I hate when they lock the door even though they know we're coming over. It's a waste of time."

   I nod and I can't contain my grin. Lola raises an eyebrow at me but heads into the remotely dark house.

   "Mom?" She calls confused by the darkness.

   Suddenly lights are flicked on all around and people jump from their hiding places shouting, "SURPRISE!"

   Lola squeals before she suddenly begins to cry. I quickly wrap my arm around her shoulders and Mrs. Hamilton runs up to do the same. "Are you okay honey?" She asks.

   Lola nods saying, "I am, I am. I just got scared for a second."

   I grimace at Tommy and he starts the music back up, keeping the volume low so that the party goers can make conversation.

   I look around and besides the interns from the station I invited it looks like there are a lot of Lola's family members scattered about. I spy Pete and he grins at me, a drink already in his hand. I grin back and grip Lola's hand.

   "Hey come on let's get you a drink," I tell her and she nods.

   We head into the kitchen and Pete meets us through the other door. Lola frowns and moves to the counter that is scattered with various wines, beers, and liquors.

   I give Pete a quick kiss on the cheek and he looks a little hurt. I nod in Lola's direction trying to let him know that I wasn't going to do that in front of my best friend. He smiles weakly and just nods in return.

   "So how did you guys plan this without me knowing?!" Lola interrupts with what appears to be a vodka cranberry in her hand.

   I shrug and say, "I handled coworkers and your mom invited family. You were so busy with work it was actually really easy."

   The door to the kitchen opens and Grant comes walking in with Mindy right on his tail. She's in a tight red dress and Grant is in dark slacks and a light button up. He has his hand tangled in his hair and Mindy appears frustrated.

  "Oh sorry," Mindy says when she glances over and notices us. Scowling at me of course.

   Grant suddenly smiles and moves to hug Lola. "Happy birthday Lo" –he turns to me– "great planning Harper."

   I feel Pete's hand squeeze mine and I lightly shake him off. Why was he being so territorial all of a sudden? I lock eyes with Grant and give him a nod saying, "Thank you."

   "We will leave you two alone," Lola says clearly irritated as she tried to usher Pete and myself from the kitchen.

   Mindy still has the scowl on her face as she watches us leave. I wonder what the two are arguing about. Probably Mindy just trying to steal the show. It seemed like something a blond poodle would do.