>> chapter 24

Lola leads Mindy and I into the house and up to her old bedroom. The walls are still decorated with posters of various boy bands and hang in there baby kittens. I can't help but smile at how these things still agree with Lola's personality. If it wouldn't seem childish I'm sure she'd still hang these up in her apartment.

   "Pick anything from the closet you like," Lola says, glaring at the back of Mindy's blond head. I stifle my laughter knowing it would only make it worse.

   I quickly select a basic skirt and top not wanting to dwell any long than I needed to. As I move past Mindy she scowls at me.

   "Really? This is your fault," I tell her with an eye roll as I motion towards our dresses.

   She clicks her tongue at me and shakes her head. "Maybe if you weren't such a klutz my very expensive Ralph Lauren dress wouldn't be ruined!"

   "Not surprising. The perfect dress for the blond poodle," I say and I feel a surge of adrenaline. Lola looks at me in disbelief and I can barely believe I've said the words either.

   Mindy just glares at me unable to come up with a comeback I presume and I leave the room triumphantly. Take that pooch. I think with a smirk.

   I change quickly in a nearby bathroom and head out into the hallway. The large home is very elegant and clean. It explains where Lola gets her expensive taste from. I shift uncomfortably, the skirt is a bit short but other than that I'm surprised Lola's clothes fit me. My stained dress is slung over my arm. I wasn't sure if it was salvageable but it wouldn't hurt to try.

   "Harper," I hear Grant call and I turn to see him standing in his father's study right down the hall. The room was filled with books and there was a desk over to one side, a large fireplace adorned one wall. It was Mr. Hamilton's favorite room in the giant house.

   Grant gave me a once over and I couldn't help but blush. I glance around the room with a playful smile as I walk up to him. "What is it?"

   "Are you alright?" He questions as his eyes fall on my knees.

   I glance down and I hadn't even realized I had scraped them during the fall. Grant kneels to examine the small wounds and his close proximity makes my breath quicken. I can feel my blush growing as I try to step back. What if someone saw?! I think but honestly what did it matter? It was his job after all I had to stop scrutinizing everything.

   I shake my head saying, "Grant I'm fine."

   I can't see his face but I can hear the smirk in his voice as he says, "Yes, you are." His hand glides up my calf. I nearly lose my footing as I gasp, trying to step out of his grasp.

   "Not here Grant–"

   I'm cut short as Grant stands and pulls me to him. He crashed his lips into mine and I lose myself in the kiss for a moment. Everything fades away and I'm mesmerized by this man. The way he can make me lose myself in any instant is terrifying and exciting in the same.

"What the hell is this?!"

Our heads snap in the direction of Mindy standing in the doorway. Her regularly gentle face was covered with a scowl. Her blue eyes glare at me and I slink back a few steps. She's wearing an N-sync t shirt and dark shorts. I'd never imagine she'd wear something like that but I don't think she would on an normal occasion.

"I told you to stay away from her honey," she said as her glare turned to Grant.

He moved to stand in front of me and I could hear the frown in his voice as he spoke, "Mindy it's alright. We were just talking. I was letting Harper know that we couldn't have any type of relationship because I love y–"

"Oh save it. I thought we could get past this Grant. You know I love you and you're making this impossible," she growled as her hands balled into fists. Was she going to attack him?

"Mindy calm down," Grant said as he stepped close to her, placing his hands on her shoulders to try and relax the poodle.

   "You're awfully brave pulling a stunt like that today of all days. You must want to get caught," Mindy snips back, the venom in her voice evident.

   I clear my throat and open my mouth to speak but Grant interjects before I get the chance. "I'm sorry Mindy. Don't do anything rash. Remember I'm marrying you," he says as if I'm no longer in the room.

   My heart feels like it shatters at Grant's words. Though I know they're untrue, well I hope they are, it still stings. Hearing him even talk like this was making me begin to worry. What if Mindy could hold this over him? Not only the accident but an affair? His career would suffer. He'd never be the same.

She sighed deeply and let her eyes close. "Let's go back to the party. We can discuss you're little incident later. Okay?" She asked her peppy self returning but we can all tell it's just a facade at this point.

   Grant looks to me and I'm unsure of what to say. He should be standing up to her. Telling her it was over but I knew it wasn't that simple. She had him in her web. Instead he walked off behind her and left me standing in the study.

   I choke back tears as my eyes raise from the hard wood floor to see Lola standing in the hall. My eyebrows pull together and I grimace at her. "Lola I..." I trail because there's nothing I can say.

   The dark haired girl shakes her head saying, "I don't know what's going on Harper but this isn't the way to do this. I can't believe you." Lola looks disappointed and crushed by my actions. As far as she knew I was fooling around with an engaged man. That's because it was the truth.

   Lola disappears from the hallway and I'm positive she's returning to the festivities outside. I'm left standing alone in my own shame. My knees begin to sting as my mind can't help but focus on the slight pain. I was letting Grant ruin me and everything I believed in. I wasn't sure if this was the right way to go about this anymore.

  I just didn't know.

A/N: I blame Grant for this one haha were coming close to the end everyone! Thank you all for sticking around!

This chapter is dedicated to tobbias for the wonderful new covers! Go check her out!