Chapter 27

The Golem picked a stack of money from his bag and threw it at her feet, then stomped off to the bar.

Wade stood up, his spine cracking back in place. He leaned over and picked up the money, and put it in his belt, then put his arms under Andrea's knees and back, and gently lifted her. He walked out with her limply hanging in his arms.

...

He laid her on the stained couch and took off her mask. He put the blanket over her, and went to the kitchen to make some food. Wade took a skillet and pancake mix. He began making the pancakes and thought to himself that it was a bad idea letting her fight that giant man. He flipped the cooked food onto a plate, making a tall stack.

"Mmm, smells good."

Andy walked over, leaning on the counter.

Wade jumped, and looked at her.

"You're up. Already? Are you okay?"

She nodded.

"I'm fine. Just got the wind knocked out of me. I will be right back."

She walked out of the kitchen and into the bedroom. She put on a tee shirt and shorts, and looked in the mirror. Her bruise faded away, leaving no indication of the rough night. Her body repaired itself to physical perfection.

Wade was confused, she did seem fine. Not at all in pain or anything.

Andy walked back to the kitchen.

"Evidently, I get hurt, I heal. But only while I'm conscious. If I get knocked out, I'm a sitting duck."

He nodded slowly, and flipped another pancake.

"So keep you awake. Or just keep you from getting badly hurt. Can I see where he got you?"

She grinned.

"You just want to see what's under this shirt, don't you?"

He shrugged.

"It was worth a shot. But I'm glad you are okay. Really. Do you want some pancakes?"

She nodded, and sat on the counter. He slid a plate to her, and she picked it up and began to eat. Wade got a plate for himself and stood, leaning against the counter on the other side. He smiled a bit as they ate, thinking of the great friendship he finally had.