Chapter 2 (16) Stand of the Light(Unrevised)

This is going to be a long day and it might be Saltaner's last, I am so stupid. This will end well if that ship is not disposed of immediately. The warlike configuration had its weaknesses, but this was larger than what we had faced in deep space, that was comparable to a light cruiser when put against what was here, I can't believe I was so foolish.

     "Argos, find a weakness we can exploit from down here, we do not have much time!" I yelled, was that fear or a sense of urgency in a need for action, I don't know. I had to save my world, even one ship gave enough time could decimate any planet, and Saltaner had a few towns, a major military base, and two large cities. That was still millions of people and that was too many, I lived in the eastern district of Resalen the capital city, kind of town like with a really good view of the ocean, of course, it's rather beautiful when it is not being eclipsed by a warship. Today might be my last day, I don't know if we will retaliate with a full-scale war but anything is better than sitting idle while waiting for death and destruction to claim me and those I care about. If I die today, I will be fighting when I die.
     "Weak point discovered, five torpedoes on the central most point of the primary hull with concussive impact would cripple the vessel!" Argos seemed proud of himself and I was glad that he had not given up. In the situation we were facing now even the most skilled officers could choose to run but Argos had some sense of overwhelming bravery that seemed to calm me down. My thoughts were interrupted by a bright flash of light I forced my eyes to stay open, surely they had not found me and opened fire on the city yet. I was right my vision cleared up in less than a second a sign that Argos had initiated a full neural link and there it was a new ship. No! That can't be! The Argos Explorer! Inch by inch the front of my ship forced its way through the central most hull of the Racosan Warship, the warship was actually buckling under the pressure meaning that my ship was holding up well or at the point of being torn apart itself. I had to hope that my ship would survive in the second that has passed since she arrived. The sound of explosions eclipsed the actual fire spewing from several airlocks as the ship started to completely collapse as my ship continued on its way, almost unscathed, within moments the remains of the warship detonated like a celebration's complement of fireworks shards falling and sections exploding as the entire ship started to go back down into the drink.

     As if on queue a voice echoed through my comm unit that sat right inside my ear, "Glad to see you are still alive Tanem, I am leaving Liz in command of the battle group, she is sending our third over to the Argos Explorer when she leaves the atmosphere, I'm coming down to help mop up the remnants!" Shiro did it, she saved the day exactly like I felt she would but I think I will have to have a word with her about how to treat my ship latter.

     I spoke softly to avoid letting my slight agitation show, "appreciated commander, my objectives have not changed but I know what I seek is here and alive, Tanem out!" I can not believe she did that to my ship. Focus! Find Zane and Collin, save if in danger, help if not. I could put her in the brig for a short time for abusing my ship. Damn it, that's not focusing, finding Zane and Collin is my priority! I started jogging towards the Capital building, from there I could get to the hidden entrance for the academy, yeah hidden, it's not too widely known, but it was made for situations like this, to be more precise in the chance of a rebellion against the military to keep the fleet officers safe. I may not be directly military but most of the New Howler class ships crews have some sort of military combat training just in case of the unexpected which happens too much in our space for our liking, who knew what was out there but I guess we all needed it. I will be the last to be thankful for military training but with the war with the Racalnas going on and me seemingly always on the front lines of the fight, I can say I am not ungrateful. I saw one of the monsters running down the street threatening civilians as he passed, I couldn't hear his exact words but I know it was a threat to kill them if he was slowed in the slightest. I turned my head to face that direction and before I could reach my weapon a mechanical whir sounded and released, I knew that sound, it was a standard military grade pistol obviously one of ours. The green bolt arced from someone wearing all black their face hidden just like mine, the bold not only killed the Racosan but also managed to throw him in my direction just a few feet. The stance from the person who had sentenced the Racalnas to death spoke, I knew that voice.