Chapter 11 (25) End Game (Unedited)

I was falling, hope to be my only guide. The nightmares of my youth finally taking shape, exactly like in the dream I was hurtling toward the surface of a planet that was not familiar to me. I am falling among the remains of a skyscraper, nothing to hold onto and nothing to break my fall. In the dream I would reach my hand out just before I woke up, feeling for something I couldn't see or hear. My instincts told me to trust the dream and so I reached out for myself and felt nothing. There had to be something other than hopelessness and death and to my surprise, my hand was pulled toward a metal body, for the first time since the building fell from its floating city I could hear the sound of an engine when I swallowed a gulp of air in relief. I clutched onto the ship that was so familiar when I looked at it, there was only one ship of its kind in this fight, The ECHO-02. That meant Kandor made it in time but my fear had not subsided, we were still in danger. 

     I looked above me to see two Racosan fighters trying to get a reliable lock on us, "lock your magnetic boots and have Argos activate your armors inertia dampeners Captain, the fun has not started yet!" I saw what he was talking about thanks to Argos pinpointing a small red spec with a hug like display in my occipital lobe, an energy weapons burst was inbound for our current location. It was low power but in total width and intensity enough to level a city. I started climbing into my cockpit's controls, as soon as the locks engaged.

     I could hear Argos echoing my response so Kandor could hear me, "focus on flying, I'll take care of the enemy's." Kandor didn't hesitate to ignite the fighters thrusters as I reached my controls, if I hadn't been so close to my cockpit I might have been thrown off of the fighter. I took control of the turrents as the hatch on my cockpit closed. The Racosans fired a shot that missed thanks to Kandor's fancy flying as I powered up my weapons and swiveled them to a suitable firing position. I fired twice with both shots striking the fighter closest to us, the first shot decimating the shields and the second ruptured the small ships power core. The ship exploded moments later in a burst of fire and smoke that lasted only for a second before being separated by the fighter still trying to fire on us.

     "Shit," I heard Kandor's yell as the fighter started to shutter and everything more than a few millimeters away from the fighter turned crimson red for a split second. Everything inside the radius of the energy burst had been incinerated, even the other Racosans fighter, missing us by just a hair. I had Argos run a quick scan with the limited sensor grid the fighter had, returning with evidence of ruins below the city of Noshen. It was fresh, only being made up of rocks and other natural resources that were visible in the newly formed creator. The thing that scared me was not below us but the fact that the building above that once helped hold the Sky bridge I fell from the city with was now gone, as if cut away from the city long ago.

     There was only one thing that could be concluded from this show of power and though I spoke it only once it was running through my mind endlessly, "They don't care about their own people, about their own innocent citizens. We can't keep up a fight where we can cause countless amounts of casualties on either side, it's not fair to the defenseless!"

     "I don't see what you are trying to tell me, captain, please clarify?" Kandor's asked after a moment.

     "Set us down in the square over there." I pointed for no reason but I was still processing my next move, "It is now clear to me that the military of the Racosans people does not care about its civilians and I can not accept that. Therefore we must protect them by leaving this city, only leaving minimal forces to deal with this threat and hopefully sparing many lives in the process." I'm heading in a downhill direction, if I am not careful I will recreate history dying for my family just like my uncle did before I was born. If there was a way, I would find it but I also had to have a backup plan just in case I couldn't make it.