Chapter 8 (22) Arcadia Canis Stands(unedited)

Commodore Balitar looked at the formation on the main display on the bridge, the Racosan fleet was starting to withdrawal. "I do no see a reason for their actions commodore, maybe moving to another front!"

     Crimson appeared in the middle of the bridge taking over the display as she shouted, "Commodore, energy burst located! The Target is Arcadia Canis II!"Standing from her chair Liz spoke softly, "get Jax on the communications net now!"

***

      I braced myself against the wall as the charge detonated, as soon as my ears stopped ringing I yelled, "Argos boost!" I knew Collin would be turning to strike as soon as I yelled and I needed to be on the other side of the room before that happened. I ran as fast as I could, moving faster than everything around me, cutting down the first few Racosan soldiers that had entered the building. I almost didn't escape Collin's first rounds, I was moving faster than he could even notice but then again I was moving in a faster plane of time. Switching my sword to its secondary mini-gun state I started firing as I returned to my normal time frame. Seconds passed giving me a moment to reflect on the four Racosan officers that had never stood a chance, my attack was full of blood lust. Not anger, not hate, not even a real reason for blood but I continue to kill them for no reason than the brighter future I want for my family. One question circling my mind that had never shown its face. At what cost do we fight? Will I ever know peace again? Will I make it out alive?

     A sharp metallic ping and some panicked breaths caught my attention, effectively pulling me from my thoughts. I looked over to see Collin with his back against the pillar, hidden from the path of the Racosan weapons fire. His hands were on his head as he started to slump down to the ground, having dropped his weapon before I turned to him. I looked back to the enemy and listened to Collin's breathing. It was quick, stressed, and in another word panicked.

     "This is Tanem Jax, the wall has been breached! We are down one man, no casualties! Reinforcements are needed, I repeat we are in need of reinforcements!" I said as I noticed a crack forming in Collin's pillar if the pillar fell I would lose an officer and a trusted friend. I switched my mini gun back to a sword and unsheathed my rapier and without thinking I ran out in front of the pillar, using my swords to absorb the energy blasts that threatened Collin. I deflected every energy burst that I could, watching as a shot came from my side of the fight hitting the Racosan line. It was clear that Zane was not ready to give up and neither was I, we just needed more forces.

     I watched as a single sniper shot would pierce the air, flying to its final destination and hitting the mark exactly as intended. One of the Racosan weapon energy discharges slipped past my defenses, scratching past my left leg, luckily my clothing was the only thing touched by the super heated energy bolt. Any closer and it could have pierced my skin, moments later several new shots in short burst appeared from behind me arcing out toward the enemy. I don't know how long I was fending off the bullets threatening me and Collin before the first wave of energy blasts passed by me that were not from Zane.

     "Tanem, we have a problem!" I heard Shiro shout from behind the pillar I was defending.

     "I need more information than us having a problem! We have those every day," I called back as I blocked another before allowing my explorer sword to switch back to a minigun and release several rounds before returning to its sword-like form.