Chapter 9(23) Prelude(unedited)

Our fate had been decided, probably well before now. I didn't hide what I found from Zane, it was his father, after all , he might be thankful for it but he could hate me for it. Not that Zane would abandon me but he might not like being near me for a few days, assuming we live that long. The plan was for two ships to stir up trouble at a forward outpost, thanks to Shiro we knew exactly where to find one. Shiro and Liz had gotten close during the war, they tried to hide it but you could see it in their eyes, though I am not sure to what extent that closeness ends.

     Getting back to the war, the plan was to attack a small moon outpost before proceeding deeper into Racosan space. The starships Argos Explorer and Crimson Aquarius had been chosen to run the special operation that would divert the bulk of the Racosan fleet, seeing that the prototype attack fighter remodel paw 1 was on the Argos Explorer, Liz and Shiro were going to board the Argos Explorer for briefing, not that there was much too brief them on.

     I looked at all of them before I spoke: Rehana, Zane, Collin, Shiro and Liz, my entire family aside from Daniel, "you all know what we are going to be doing. Odds are, one of us will die, maybe more than one of us. I don't want any of us to die, you guys are my family, I don't want to seem weak but that's the truth. I hate this war, I want it to end, and I want us all to survive. In the words of my ancestors, 'Mount the flag, keep her high and never let hope die!'"

     Liz was the only one who said anything, "then let's make it a reality!"

***

     I sat next to one of the new fighters that had been constructed for interplanetary combat, mostly atmospheric but she would get the job done in space too. The engines on either side of the body pushed the fighter forward with small but powerful thrusters for directional control. The two cabin pods were separate sections with one on top and the other on the bottom, allowing the rear section to be a cargo hold for a small weapons cache or for two soldiers in modified chambers designed so that they could be dropped within three hundred feet of the ground. We however only had a need for one of those personal pods. The weapons were light, two small pulse turrets, a small torpedo launcher with two torpedoes, and the forward pulse cannon mount.

     I notice Shiro climbing into one of the drop pods, "you sure you should be flying this mission Tanem?"

      I stood up, "I am one of the two most qualified pilots in the fleet. You know that it's hard to change my mind, besides, Zane can handle the ship."  I walked over to Shiro and helped her strap in, "are you sure you should be the one going down to the facility alone?"

     She laughed softly, "I won't be missed much!"

     "That's wrong, the crews of both the Argos Explorer and Crimson Aquarius would mourn your death, and I am sure you have impacted other crews too."

     "This is the choice we both made!"

     "To a prelude of darkness, may it end in our favor!" I sealed the pod after I said that and started climbing up to my cockpit as Kandor climbed into the lower cockpit.

     I strapped in, powering up systems as I sent a silent prayer to any god that may be. To be honest, that's my flaw, I don't know if there is a greater power, I can only hope that the sins of my people are not great enough for us to be exterminated if there is. The hanger bay door started opening as the Argos Explorer and Crimson Aquarius dropped out of quantum pulse travel. I initiated the launch sequence and the fighter we named Echo-01 didn't hesitate to charge out of the hanger into the dark abyss of space.

     Argos appeared in the corner of my display, "Shiro's information is correct as far as the Explorers scans can tell. Going with the plan should be easy!"