Chapter 10(24) The last Game (unedited)

Ten minutes have passed since we left the communications outpost, I can definitely say I have never felt so proud of my crew. I know everyone is terrified of what happens to our homes if this attack fails if the Racalnas don't surrender, and even concerned about if we go too far. Regardless of their fears, they continue to perform admirably, never hiding their emotions but being able to continue to do what is necessary while showing them in full. I am concerned about their well-being but at this point, there is nothing I can do.

     I stood up from my chair as the Argos Explorer started to return to normal space, I looked over at Volen Tec to see him nod softly, "Attention Crew, we have approximately five minutes until the rest of the fleet gets here, let's show them how much damage two ships can do! As soon as we reach synchronous orbit around the planet I will be part of the assault force, I am leaving Third in command Nathan Veers in charge after that point. Having said that, scan the system and set course to the planet!"

     I sat down hoping nothing was in front of us it was not long before Volen Tec gave his report, "seven objects ahead! Four of them are civilian transports, the other three are military, one cruiser the others are defense stations! Displaying all on the forward screen."

     I looked at Zane and nodded giving him permission to command the situation alone, "target the civilian vessel's weapons and engines, do not destroy them! As for the other three contacts, prepare a full firing solution, do not hold back!"

     Collin spoke up, it was not at either of us to object but to speak to Argos, "Argos reconfirm targeting parameters on the civilian ships, goal is to disable!"

     Argos appeared on Collin's console giving him a thumbs up and that only left my order, "Fire at will!" As if it was the word of a divine being the space surrounding my ship erupted with light, not that I believe in such beings but sometimes I have to wonder. So far my crew has maintained total control, I am surprised Collin is still on the bridge. During the last space fight, he was in he suffered a severe panic attack, just for setting up a targeting parameter. It has been slow but Collin has slipped away from the shell he developed after he lost his arm, I had a fear he would never start turning away from the insecurity he had about hurting those he cared about. I have often seen Collin shut off his prosthetic arm more than once when he was with Daniel, that may be his biggest fear, failing to keep Daniel and Zane safe.

     Argos looked at me, "civilian ships disabled, cruiser coming into range!"

     That was a bigger subject but I had already planned for this one, "have the Crimson Aquarius pass parallel to us on the opposite side of that ship, take out weapons and engines, no need to focus on the survival of that ship!" I watched as the first shot ripped through space and impacted on the shields of the single cruiser, the shield absorbed it with no problem. The second shot that hit was from the Crimson Aquarius, the shield rippled on impact, I have no doubt Crimson overcharged the first shot to weaken the shielding significantly. The next few shots ripped the remaining shielding apart, only a matter of seconds had passed since our ships started firing, and the only shot that had been fired at us had missed. By the time we reached the point we would be closest to the Racosan cruiser, the smaller vessels shields had failed and the crew started firing every weapon they could hoping to disable our strike force. The enemy ship was being pierced, holes were ripped into sides and entire sections seemed to be gutted as they decompressed.

     It was a sad thought. People being sucked out into the abyss of space, begging for the air to stay in their lungs instead of being violently removed. It was a terrible way to die, that could happen to any ship in a war and it would never end exactly the same way.

     A green flame shot through the top of one of the holes carved into the Racosan vessel, pulsing quickly with an eerie blue tint. An alarm sounded signaling an imminent detonation within a dangerous proximity to the Argos Explorer.

     Argos responded almost as soon as the alarm started, "One of our shots ruptured a coolant valve, the Racosan vessel is doomed, it is recommended that this ship move away immediately to avoid major damage!" He rattled the information off as quickly as he could, it was no use firing anymore.

     I didn't hesitate after Argos finished, "move is away, our as much power into the engines as you can and everything else into shields and deflector arrays!" I could only wait to see what damages would be done to the Argos Explorer. The explosion was fierce but the ship had gotten far enough away to avoid major damage and most of the damage was to the shields and that was minor. That only left the stations. The plan was for the ground forces to use their wreckage for cover during atmospheric entry. 

     I stood up nodding to Nathan before I spoke, "alright all members of the ground assault groups get to the hanger if you are not already there!" The transition of command was smooth, I left the bridge as soon as I had spoken. I was on my way to the hanger when Collin pulled me aside.

     "Captain, I can't! If I freeze up out there someone could die if I am not the one that dies." He was terrified of repeating what happened on Arcadia Canis, I didn't blame Collin for what happened and I doubt Zane did either. The thing Collin lost was confidence in himself, before the battle of Saltaner he wouldn't budge but I would not let Collin fall because of that.

     "You will be fine because no one else can protect Zane if you can't. I have always done everything I could but I fear that will not be enough today." Collin nodded, I seemed to have boosted his morale at least a little. If a little was all I could do to help my friends, then I would give it.

     As soon as I got to the hanger I told Kandor where I needed him to drop me off. The small plaza near what I believed to be a command subsection would have the exact coordinates of the Racosan High Command. With a small nod, the ship was loaded and then launched toward the planet and the falling field of debris.