Chapter 13(27) Aftermath (Unedited)

Three weeks had passed since the Crimson Aquarius left to be repaired, one week ago her and her crew left on a three-month mission. Today was the first time Zane would be able to see his mother since the battle of Saltaner, he didn't know if she had seen the list of casualties. She had not talked to the crew of the Argos Explorer since Zane asked her to send Daniel with Admiral Narr as soon as the war was over, it was something Zane and Collin both needed.

     Zane focused on the shuttle entering Saltaner's atmosphere, feeling the light shudder start and fade in moments. He was used to such things and slowly rubbed Daniels back when he cringed on to him, this was one of the few Atmospheric entries he had dealt with and was rather afraid of the turbulence when it would arise.

     His thoughts became random as he waited to step out of the shuttle and back onto the soil of his homeworld, he admitted to himself with a soft sight that he knew nothing would be or even feel the same again. Even if he was not by his best friend's side he knew that if had ever needed a place to go, he could go and be with his friend for a while. A sharp pain was etched into Zane's mind, he knew how his mother would feel, how he felt about losing his best friend and brother. He could not stop asking himself how his mother would take the news, how cruel time can be when roles are reversed, how he would carry on as if nothing changed! He could only answer the third question, he couldn't act as if nothing had changed because everything was different now.

     Zane regained focus on the world around himself again as he felt the shuttle land, he took a deep breath before standing up. He made sure Collin grabbed Daniel before he turned to the opening door. The back hatch of the shuttle lowered slowly, and as Zane expected his mother was standing just outside of the shuttle. Zane ran to her, jumping from the ramp that was not quite on the ground yet so he could quickly envelop her in a hug.

     She embraced him before she paid attention to everyone who had stepped out of the shuttle, "Zane, where is Tanem?" It didn't take her long to understand what had happened when he broke down again, Zane knew she was going to take it hard too and didn't complain when he started to cry with him. It was silent, never loud, she had met up with Rehana when she arrived a week ago to take her the Jax manor. It was clear now that Rehana did not mention what happened, not that he could blame her for not wanting to bring it up.

***

     Zane stared without emotion into the large crowd as Admiral Narr was speaking, not that he meant to share emotions anyways. Despite David Narr's insistence that he deserved the promotion Zane knew that Tanem deserved it, all he did and his second in command was support his friend and do the tasks that were required of someone with the rank of Commander. He could have saved his friend if he had noticed the danger in him staying behind but he followed orders, which in turn got his best friend killed.

     When the ceremony was done Admiral Narr pulled him aside, "Captain, you still seem a little skeptical about your promotion."

     Zane sighed softly and kept his voice low but respectful," I am undeserving of the honor, I did nothing to earn this rank." Though David Narr tried to mask it, Zane saw the shock in his eyes, it was subtle but there. Much to Zane's disbelief David smiled, it was calm and reflected the aura of the embassy they stood inside.