29 » the note

School Hallway
4 : 01 pm

- - - - -

The day had just ended. I went off to my locker to store all the books I didn't need for the remaining hours I will stay at school.

As I carefully encode the password of my locker, an unfamiliar note was lying beneath the messy stack of stuff I managed to create due to my laziness.

The note was more of a card, if you'd ask me. Like those you can buy at a local bookstore. It was all fancy and scribbled in complicated calligraphy. I grabbed it hastily and read what is written silently.

Dearest Jackass,

You don't know how excited I am to see you today! I'm all happy and nervous and I just can't explain it.

I'll be sitting by the bleachers later. Probably at the right side of the gym.

'Til we meet later,
Nerdy Pants

* * * * *

School Gymnasium
5 : 46 pm

- - - - -

I was at the court, practicing with my teammates. But I really need to admit, I never displayed such an ear-to-ear wide grin. I can't deny the fact that with just a short note from a girl I barely know, I was satisfied and content.

"Ow," I exclaimed, expressing the pain coming from my head. I was so busy wondering where Saturn could be that River hit me hard enough with a basketball.

He approached me, and patted my back, "Are you okay? Sorry, dude."

"No, it's fine," I grinned at him, assuring him that I was definitely fine. Because, why wouldn't I be? I'm about to meet the girl that had left me curious for almost a month now. I know for sure that this was all worth waiting for.

"What's up with your face?" River asked, furrowing his brows and crossing his arms.

"What?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY GORGEOUS FACE?"

"Nothing. Although, I'm a bit nervous for you."

"Why would you be?"

"Like, look at you..." He gestured to my throbbing features and continued, "...you're hurt and still smiling?"

"Oh, well─"

"Saturn? It's Saturn again, isn't it?"

"You could be a freaking fortune teller when you grow up."

"Whatever and, speaking of Saturn..."

"Yes?!" I replied, enlightened upon hearing the thought of her lovely name.

"I saw her earlier."

"Really?" I asked, my tone slightly monotonous to my enlightened one from before. My stomach was devoured by large monarch butterflies with the idea of finally meeting her.

"Yea. She even wished me a happy birthday for tomorrow."

"Well, we're going to meet up today," I proudly said, with my chin up and my lips pursed into a beam.

"Nice! You're making progress, dude," he chuckled.

"I am," I mumbled under my breath.

"I just want to say, good luck."

"What the heck? Good luck for what?"

"For your whole well-being."

"What the fuck?"

"Bro, you're totally going to freak out when you see her."

"So what?"

"Be calm because..."

"Because? River, finishing s─"

"Sentences?"

"Yes. Finishing sentences is an evergrowing trend so it will be much more appreciated if you would also do it."

"Chill, man. Chill," River tried to hush me down. "Wait, have she seen you?"

"Technically, she has seen me because... duh? I'm popular, remember? But I never really know how she looks like."

"She's actually pretty, dude. She's that redhead who wore big glasses."

"There's a lot of redheads who wore big glasses here, River."

"No, bro. I mean she's that redhead who wore big glasses," he pointed to a dame having the similar traits that he had mentioned. She was sitting alone by the bleachers with big bright blue headphones connected to her ears, reading a novel that is set by her laps.

I took an inch forward to get a closer look at her.

Saturn was the girl I chatted with at the cafeteria? Damn it. Is that why she called me, Jackass? Wait, am I her secret crush? Or am I just delusional?

Why the heck am I just realising these stupid things now? Oh my goodness! What's freaking wrong with me?!

"Jackson," River called out from my behind.

"Y-yea?"

"You should go talk to her, dude."

"Happy birthday, River Amadeus Jobs but I don't think it's still the right time to do so," I suggested, yet I know that she might get mad if I'll do something like bailing on her again.

"Suit yourself. My birthday's tomorrow though."

"I know that!"

We head back to our gym lockers to get our things. I took my phone out of my backpack and slowly typed a message in whilst playfully smiling as I went along outside of the court.

***

hey lovely peeps! i just want to say THANK YOU because this has been back in the top 10 of the short story rankings!!!