Chapter 2: A Star-Crossed Episode

My mind went blank during the short moment, as though there was no one else but the two of us in this world. No gaps could be seen from our chests to our hips. My vision was fully occupied by two familiar enchanting icy blue orbs that only have my reflection in them.

"Have you fallen in love with me already?" Zen's arrogant voice and a foreign tightening around my waist broke me away from the trance. I found myself staring at his arm wrapped around my slim waist, and took a full minute to grasp the situation. I could not believe that I was in a tight embrace with a stranger that I met less than an hour ago on a busy street. Whispers around us began to grow louder, as I pushed myself off him quickly. Feeling the heat creeping on my face, I dusted my clothes while hiding my reddened face. Suddenly, a gentle but firm grip held my chin, exposing my heated face to the cool air.

"So you don't only have the talent but also the looks." While smirking at me, he held my chin firmly in place to study my blushed face. "You shouldn't hide such a cute face."

I put a distance between us automatically after forcing myself out of his hold. He stood there with the grin as if I was a new toy he just found. I liked to play with people but I hated it when it was the reversed.

"What do- Hey! My pouch! Stop!" I caught sight of the grizzly bear running away with my pouch which I dropped whilst getting out of the embrace. I wasted no time into giving chase, however my legs were slower than usual due to the aches received from the competition. Ignoring the pain, I push myself to run fast. I need the pouch back not the gold but the other item that was in it. I could give up anything for it, much less the gold. I felt like an idiot for bringing it to the competition.

A bad feeling grew in me when I saw him running down the route leading to the town plaza. There was a grand festival held in commemoration for the competition and people from far and wide would attend. My fears came true, it was almost impossible to search for him in this sea of people. I could not help but to kneel down after giving into the burning aches in my legs. I could only vent my self-frustration by punching the hard ground, allowing the pain to linger in my fist.

"You will not get it back even if you hurt yourself." Zen's silky voice did nothing but intensified my anger. In one swift move, I stood and pulled him down to eye-level by grabbing his collar. It was hard for me not to push the blame for my current situation onto this dumb noble's meddling. If only he did not break my fall, I would not have dropped it. I knew I should be thankful but I just could not help blaming myself and him. For the first time in my life, I was at a total loss of words. I was only conveyed my frustration though glares, while hoping that the angry tears would not spill.

"I could get it back for you-"

"Really?!" Just a simple phrase, my attitude changed and I felt sudden ray of hope shined onto me, as I unconsciously pulled him closer and stared into his glittering eyes. All it took was a nod from him to erase my frustration which made me smiled instinctively. He looked stunned for an instant before averting his gaze away awkwardly almost shyly. However I was unaware of his reaction as I was too distracted by the relief and that my hands were now moved into his large warm hands.

"However I need you to pledge your assistance to make this plan a success."

"Deal" I agreed without hesitation, however doubt returned when a thought strike me. "But how do you know his current location?" Even with his power from his status, there was still a limit to it.

"At least until you claim back your pouch, have some faith in me. It is important, right? The other item beside the gold, I mean."

"How did you know there was another item?" I pulled a slight distanced away from him and stared warily of him as my mind went into a state of confusion. Cautiously concealing my worries, I considered the possibilities of my identity exposed before deciding to proceed with caution.