Chapter 10: Outbreak (Part 1)

Author's Note
I actually uploaded this chapter before but i decided to rewrite it but not everything was changed though. I know that I told some of you that I will only do a major rewriting after finishing the series. However after reading your opinions, I just want to change it right away. So this new edited version of the first part. In summary, I had removed a few characters since I feel that it was getting all over the place. Once again, I would like to thank the few of you who gave me the idea~
Cheers ❤️
The second part of this chapter will be up soon~

Edited version

"Good morning, are you done with your exercise?" Shirayuki greeted me with her usual smile, as I took a seat beside her with my breakfast. Reporting the status of my rehabilitation regime for my injured arm, I also took some time to study the people at the table. Other than Ryuu, Obi and the girl name Yuzuri from yesterday, there was only one other guy whom I did not recognise.

His honey blond curly hair reminded me of my beloved dog that died last year while his grey droopy eyes gave him a tired look although the sharp glint of his eyes told me otherwise. We studied each other as Yuzuro introduced him as Suzu who was 'surprisingly' a fellow pharmacist.

"So Miss Luna, do you have a lover?"

*Cough* "Ex-excuse me?" Gulping down some water to soothe my throat, my eyes were huge as sauces when I looked at him. In the first place, who would ask such question during their first meeting?! This Suzu guy is seriously bad at making good first impression. However this shock could not be compared to the one I will soon receive.

"Wow, I didn't know you were this popular..." Before Suzu could speak, another voice joined in the conversation. Even though the newcomer spoke through gritted teeth, I would still recognise this voice anywhere. In fact this pleasant velvet voice should be back in Wista Castle doing his damn work. If Izana is here, then who am I representing for?!

"Yo-"

"Luna, you met Mitsuhide Lowen before in the castle, right?" Shirayuki immediately jumped in front of Izana and blinked furiously at me, obviously hinting me to play along with her. With a heavy sigh, I nodded at her question knowing deep down that a fresh new heavy load of work is coming in my way. "He decided to join us for our research."

"And this is?" Totally ignoring our conversation, the prince in disguise stared at Suzu coldly as the latter returned the hostile stare with a bored expression. I had bet that a fire could be set off from the sparks in their stare. Thankfully, Yuzuri immediately started introducing the blond curly head which brought an end to this painful breakfast.

Who said that girl's mind changes as quickly as flipping the pages of the book? The thought came to me as the two unfriendly blond guys are now chatting happily in front of me. Looking at Izana made me thought of Lady Haki, my mind could not stop returning to yesterday. Even till now, I did not know what I had done to evoke her resentment at our first meeting. As I listing the possibilities of her spiteful behaviour, a loud bang from the window made me jump. My face was beet red from embarrassment as Izana and Suzu were cracking up over my fright. In the end, it was a snowball that made me the laughingstock and the culprit who caught me noticing frantically pointed at Ryuu beside me. Once the little pharmacist's undivided attention was with him, the brat continued to beckon him to go out. A young boy greeted us in a novel manner by collapsing as soon as we stepped out in the cold.

Damn... The unconscious lad looked as pale as the snow around him and there were odd swirly marks on him. With the boy in my arms, i was about to make a dash for the infirmary when Izana blocked my way. 

"Don't stress your arm." Swiftly putting his coat over me, the blond prince took the boy away. With those words, he carried the boy and led the way to the infirmary with the rest trailing obediently behind him.

"I am perfectly fine!" I agitatedly exclaimed only to be ignored by everyone who had left me behind in the cold. By the time I reached the infirmary, everything in there was in chaos to identify the disease. When the virus was finally identified, thanks to Ryuu; a bigger problem emerge. The book diagnosed the virus but it did not mention anything about a cure, which sent the whole infirmary into another round of frenzy.

As there were an increasing number of infected, all gates of Lyrias were closed and no one was allowed to exit and enter. Everyone regardless of their jobs lent their strength and pulled all nighter to help find the cure. Researchers had their heads buried in the books, while the others were moving books as fast as we could. Even Haki and her maids gave out cups of hot chocolate and snacks to ease the tiredness. 

As I carried my tenth stack of unusable books, I began to feel that the library was bigger compared to earlier. Oddly, my body felt... heavy and my limbs starting to stiffen. 

Realisation came to me and I wished with all my heard that my instinct was wrong. Taking a deep breath, I squeezed my eyes shut as my hands hesitantly pulled up my sleeves. Truth to be told, the glaring swirly marks on my arms proves that I was right on about being infected. 

"Are you okay?" In the nick of time, I jerked my sleeves back down as Izana quietly came up to me from behind. The worried gleam in his blue orbs soften me, and I cannot seem to stop my heart from racing. Ever since that confession, he seemed to have changed a lot and I knew that since the beginning he had been looking out for me. His jealousy, gentleness, consideration... I will be lying to myself if I were to say that I did not noticed it. Quickly picking up the books again, I ensured that I was fine and quickly walked away before I gave my disease and feelings away. Withholding the fact that I was infected, was not only to reassure him. Even if I were to lay down sick, nothing can be done since the cure is still a mystery. So the only way was to get our hands on the cure. Despite the noble thoughts, I could feel the illness was beginning to take a toll on my body. It was announcing the bitter fact that despite my determination, I was only a mere human with my fate lying in the hands of destiny.

The same as how my love was already decided by destiny.