~ E-I-G-H-T-E-E-N ~

~Saturday; 14th of December 2019~

~ P-A-T-R-I-C-K ~

I bounced down the stairs excitedly and into the kitchen. Aunt Jenn was sitting at the table with her coffee and the weekly newspaper in hand. She looked up when I came into the room, curiosity beginning to bubble in her eyes. I grabbed up an apple and hopped up onto the counter, munching on it for my small breakfast before the day ahead.

"Why so giddy?" Aunt Jenn eventually asked, sitting down the paper and sipping her hot morning drink.

"I'm going ice skating," I replied simply, taking another bite from the juicy fruit in my hand.

She raised an eyebrow. "Patrick, you go ice skating practically every weekend. What makes today special, hm?"

I took my time chewing my current mouthful as I thought of a truthful comment that didn't come off as too gay. I swallowed what I had and licked my lips. "Because this time I was invited by a friend whom I have grown close to in a short amount of time."

She nodded thoughtfully, a frown tugging at her lips. "Patrick, we need to talk." Her words were serious and eyes dulling in brightness. I slid off of the counter and tossed my apple core into the trash, standing next to the table. Her gaze studied my face before she burst into tears. I froze, never have seeing her become so emotional since the day I arrived at the airport a few months ago. "I-I'm so sorry," she sighed out, wiping her eyes. "I just... I have never seen you look so sincerely happy in these eight months, and the timing is all wrong, as-"

"Wait wait wait," I waved a hand. "What do you mean 'timing is all wrong'?"

"Do you not remember? Next weekend-" she was cut off by the sound of a car horn. I turned my head and just caught a glimpse of a dark coloured car out of the front windows.

I walked away and grabbed my bag from the bottom of the stairs. "I'll see ya this evening Aunt Jenn!" And with that I was out the door. I didn't let her unfinished words bother me much as I saw Pete's smiling face through the windshield of his Impala. I smiled back and hopped into the passenger seat, planting a quick kiss to Pete's cheek as I shut the car door.

"Hey beautiful," he softly spoke, making my cheeks flare up red. I shook my head and hid behind my hands, which were covered by the sleeves of my deep red cardigan. I didn't want him to see my embarrassed smile and blush by his two simple words.

One of his hands pushed both of mine down, taking one and intertwining our fingers. He used his other hand to steer the car out of the driveway and onto the road, towards the skating rink.

It was a short drive, lasting just a few minutes more then ten because of the salted roads. We hopped out of his car and walked into the rink not surprised to feel the temperature just a little warmer than the chill of winter outside.

As we came to the front desk, Pete flashed the woman his school card and I dug into my pocket for the few dollar entry fee. "He's with me," I heard Pete say as he grabbed my arm. The woman just nodded and waved us off and we walked towards our usual back rink.

"You didn't have to do that," I mumbled. "It was just a few dollars."

Pete shrugged and held open the rink door for me, pulling his bag off of his shoulder and retrieving his skates. I did the same and before long we were both on the ice.

I did a quick lutz, landing it and gliding backwards, watching Pete watch me. His face grew red and he looked away, beginning to do laps around the rink at a moderate speed.

I stuck out my bottom lip and came up behind the taller, linking my arms around his waist. I heard him chuckle and his hands wrapped around mine, unlinking them and twirling me around himself so we were face to face.

"Remember that time a few weeks ago on our date," I raised an eyebrow at his words, tilting my head to the side a little. "When you like, launched yourself into my arms?" I nodded. "Wanna do that again?"

I smirked. "For balance practice on your own sake? Or did you really enjoy having my lower stomach that close to your face?" I said slyly, beging to skate backwards. His face went(z) bright red and I laughed, turning away and gliding around to face him again. "You ready?" I called out. I saw him nod and readjust his stance to ensure my impacting force would let him slide backwards instead of us falling into a heap on the ice.

I took in a deep breath and held it, running all the movements I had to take precisely. I began off slowly, picking up some speed. Pete stuck out his arms with relaxed elbows and I bent my knees, launching myself upwards. His strong hands gripped my hips in a way that felt strangely amazing- if that'd the way to put it- and we spun in a small circle.

He let me down gently, grabbing hold of one of my hands. He began to spin in a slow circle, holding our arms out at length. I figured out what he wanted and moved my grip to his forearm and our tight circle picked up some speed. He placed his footing and then let go, causing me to slide away a few feet and still spin in a circle. I smiled and brought my feet together, slowly raising my arms above my head.

My mind flickered back to the outside rink where I first 'spun for Pete'. I began to sing a light tune, slowing down and lowering my arms. I don't usually spin a lot, so I was pretty dizzy by the time I tried to face Pete again. I giggled and fell to the side, once more into my Panda's grasp.

"Stop. No. God Patrick don't do that, it kills me."

"What...?" I tilted my head a little. He was really confusing me. He pulled back and waved his hands wildly.

"This! Everything! You're just so... so..." he put his hands down and a blush lit up his cheeks, his voice softening into that smooth tone I fell for in the first place. "Perfect."

I blinked and slowly shook my head, a small smile pulling up my lips. "Panda, just look at yourself. You're healthy and in a good school environment. You have a family that loves you and many friends that support you." My voice cracked at 'friends' as I remembered the few I left back in Manchester. Pete's entire face changed. "You play so well at a sport you may just get an entire scholarship to a college of your choice. You have food on the table and a bed and a roof over your head. You have good looks that cause both guys and girls to swoon over. Your soft hair and well toned body, naturally tan skin and the prettiest brown, hazel eyes."

We were back in each other's arms, his hands very loosely and slowly sliding around me as I worked my hands up to lock around his neck.

"Your lips are chapped but are always appealing, and even satisfying." My voice had become a whisper. "Your hands are rough by touch but gentle to hold. Peter Panda, I am far from perfect. But you, you are my definition of perfection." I held one of his cheeks, lightly rubbing my thumb over his warm skin. He gradually leaned down the mere few inches and caught my lips in between his. I let my eyes flutter close and moved in sync, pulling my whole body closer to his. His hands securely held onto me, sliding down slowly to rest on my hips.

"PATRICK MARTIN VAGHN STUMPH!"

That voice... the sadness and disappointment and disgust, anger, rage, shame, betrayal, damage, and pure pain in that voice made my knees give out and I fell to the ice wishing to disappear.