~ P-R-O-L-O-G-U-E ~ {II}

Our precious Junior from Southern Glenbrook High walked down the sidewalk with his hands in his jacket pockets and hood up against the sun. He was making his way across the neighborhood to his best friend's house in late March. Ice hockey season had come to an earlier close and teachers had begun to lighten up the homework loads.

Saturdays at the Urie's had become a weekly thing the past few months. Many reasons were held behind the sudden decision, but nobody questioned it. Not even Mister and Misses Urie who happily took the chance to have a free night, knowing their son had friends over and their second son wasn't alone sulking at home.

The young man was watching the ground, observing the little things. One of those little things happened to reflect the sun straight into his eye. He paused and looked around, lifting his head. His hood fell off as his eyes stopped their search on a pair of white figure skates, broken and torn, sitting on the ground next go a blue trash bin. The young man looked around more, noticing he was standing in front of the tan stone house he once felt welcome to.

He glanced around the front of the house before walking closer. He knelt down and picked up the broken skates in his hands. How could someone do this to such a beautiful pair of ice skates?

The laces were all torn and frayed, one of the blades had a screw loose completely stripping the hole it was from, the white leather was scruffed and worn, covered in black marks.

The man's chest tightened and he stood back up with the skates in hand. He looked at the neighboring house, just briefly meeting eyes with someone at the front door, before he stormed off back to his own home.

*-°~°-*

"Well, Pete's not coming," a taller Junior shook his head and closed the door.

"Aw man," one of the others stuck out his bottom lip. "Wait, how do you know Bren?"

Brendon walked over and picked the other up, sitting on his place on the couch and then letting the other sit on his lap. "He found a broken pair of skates."

"And?" The other turned, meeting gazes with a just as confused Jack and Alex.

"A broken pair of skates." Brendon sighed. Ever since December, they haven't spoken his name much. When they did Pete just shut down and closed out the world for a while. Even when he's not around, they've got into the habit of avoiding it.

"I still don't- oh," Jack's eyes widened a little.

Suddenly the front door slammed open, revealing a wide eyed teen guy with dyed red hair in a loose mohawk style and another panting teen guy with shorter shaggy brown hair and tired brown eyes. The red head hurried into the middle of the living room with a face of urgency. The other came in as well, closing the door and leaning against it. He held his side and caught his breath, watching his friend from the side of his view.

"Josh? Whaaat is that face fo-" Jack began but quickly shut up when Josh threw up his hands.

"Pete is hell of a lot worse than I thought guys," he put his hands on the back of his neck. "He was in tears running back home with Pa- his skates in hand, muttering stuff I couldn't understand. I tried to stop him, but he punched me!" With that, Josh pulled up his shirt and revealed a red and purpling splotch that was sure to be a dark bruise.

"Oh damn," Ryan jumped up and lightly ran his hand over the spot. Josh winced and the other glanced up. Ryan disappeared into the kitchen, probably to get a baggy with ice.

"Fucking jerk," Josh's friend stepped into the living room. "I know he's troubled but that doesn't give him the right to slam his fist into Jishwa's gut," he scowled, checking on Josh's new bruise himself.

"I have a proposal," Brendon stood. Everyone looked up at the taller, even Ryan who had just come back and handed Josh the bag and cloth. "Why don't we do something huge for Pete and the little man?"

"Bren, little man isn't here-" Ryan paused as he and Brendon met gazes. They just stared at one another for a few moments before Ryan slowly began to nod.

"Okay did Ryan just read your mind or did you two just eye fuck or...?" Jack stood up from his place on the floor, causing Alex to adjust his posture to remove his legs from Jack's shoulders.

"Ryan, get your phone." Brendon completely ignored Jack's statement. "I have a really stupid and bizarre idea." Ryan nodded and ran up the stairs towards Brendon's room.

"Urie, what are you doing?" Josh sat in one of the living room chairs, holding the ice to his gut. Brendon shushed him and ran a hand over his face.

"Okay okay, so you remember that phase I kinda went through where all I wanted to do was make friends online?" Brendon crossed his arms.

"What the hell does that have to do with anything?" Tyler leaned against the chair arm.

Brendon just waves them off again as Ryan jumped down the stairs and handed the taller his phone. Brendon unlocked it and sang a small tune to himself while typing in a number. He brought the phone to his ear and began slowly pacing as the line rang.

A few rings later, the call was answered by a very confused and agitated voice.

"Uh, this better be important mate, these calls get expensive fast."

"Hey old friend, sorry for the sudden call," Brendon grinned.

"Wait, Brendon? Brendon Urie?"

"The one and only!" Brendon laughed. "Listen, I need some help."