Chapter 17 The End: Live and Learn

Goldmare's P.O.V

I stood on top of a hill over the vast cemetery. From down below, the people looked like ants to me. Ants wearing black dresses and black and beige suit and ties. From above, I must've been a silhouette I'm the dusking sky. The sky was different assortment of orange hues, streaks of red mixed in as if Picasso wanted to add a little something...more. I watched with my violet eye, Plushtrap on my shoulder watching with his brown ones, the casket in which he laid in. A cherry wood casket. The funeral planners must've known how to make him stand out from the grieving crowd.

I leaned back under a small cherry blossom tree, catching the petals by the light wind, and watching it gracefully take it away from me. A boy in a dark blue suit walked up to the casket. He knelt down and placed a hand on it. I squinted my eyes to get a better look. It was Kevin. Uncle Tom stood in the crowd behind him. Kevin got up and retreated from his casket, wiping his eyes in the process.

"I just ... don't understand it." Plushtrap murmured softly. He was being placed underground, in the hole that was dug. "I just ... don't understand it," Plushtrap repeated, "how ... why would Kevin be crying? He and his little associates caused him to die. Everything that the kid had been through this week ... they killed 'im.

I stood there, silent. My dull golden hair blew in the wind, matching with the yellow in the sky. I put my hand in the pocket of my blazer, feeling the soft fur. "To call Kevin a murderer is something I forbid. It was unintentional. It may have seemed like Kevin hated him ... but the truth is he never really did. I know Kevin. I'm his older sister as much as I am," —I gestured over to the casket— "his. Kevin could never show his feelings to anyone. He's so emotionless. This has to be the first time I've ever saw him cry in public."

"Emotionless? Emotionless?" Plushtrap called out, raising his voice in rage. "How could he not even cry when that car accident happened killing you and your parents? Emotionless? Goldmare, that ain't right! If he's emotionless, then he's nothin' but a cold hearted monster!"

"Now that is not true," I interrupted him calmly. "Just because one is emotionless doesn't mean he or she is cold hearted and doesn't have feelings. They do have them. It's just they've put up with so much that they don't understand how to feel when a situation occurs. Premonition they may have, but they won't trust the instinct. You can't blame Kevin, he's put up with a lot, too."

"What kind of stuff has he been through? Jack is the one who suffered!"

I didn't answer him. I felt the fur in my pocket as I watched as some people began to leave and head toward their cars, tears in their eyes. And I thought for a complete moment that this is what was destined to happen.

*********************************

I began walking the cold stone path into the cemetery. The moon was a large, glowing dragon eye on the night, casting a dark and spooky aura to the graveyard. The grass looked liked a dark blue and the tombstones were a dark grey. The place was decorated with a diversity of flowers that brought some life to the place. Fireflies danced around the area, giving off some light so I could see what was written on each tombstone.

An owl could be heard in the distance. Plushtrap grabbed on to the side of my neck. I felt his ears hit my neck as he looked about frantically. I patted his head assuringly and approached the new tombstone of the group. I knelt down and red the words:

Jack Prower
2006-2016
"When one life meets another life, something will be born."

"A-are we really going t-to do this?" Plushtrap quivered slightly. I felt the fur in my pocket and nodded. "We have to. It worked for all of us, it'll work for Jack."

I pulled a small wolf plush toy out of my blazer pocket and placed in in front of his tombstone. It was a dark gray wolf, almost black. It had icy blue eyes like a glacier. With my index finger, I traced a star on the dirt, and placed one of the cherry blossom tree's petals on to it. Scanning the ground, I grabbed two medium sized rocks. I scrapped them together, creating a spark. One of the embers hit the cherry blossom petal, making it burn the petals slightly.

I closed my eyes, hearing the soft chime. Even with my eyes closed I could sense the dark blue light in front of me, and then the sound of a bell. Suddenly, the light was gone, and when I opened my eyes, a little boy stood there.

It was Jack. But he was different. His hair was still black, but he wore a pair of charcoal gray wolf ears. A small black button nose was on the tip of his human one. His eyes were icy blue instead of emerald green. He wore a silver hoodie with white pants to match, and black shoes. He looked up at me with a gaping mouth, revealing two small fangs. His wolf tail, which was the same color as his ears, rested on the dirt.

"G-Goldmare?" He asked quietly and astonishingly.

"Not just Goldmare," I grinned, "your elder sister, Chloe."

He giggled lightly and looked down at the ground, a huge smile on his face. "I had a feeling..." His blue eyes locked on to mine, "So this is what happened to you, huh?"

I nodded. My arm reached out toward Jack and I held out my hand. Jack gladly took it. "Where are we going now?" He asked.

"Well, me, you, and Plushtrap are going to help a bunch of people with their fears. The nightmares are gone and they will never hurt you again."

The three of us walked out of the cemetery and headed down the dark world ahead of us. As we did, I noticed Jack cover his eye. He looked up at me and grinned. I noticed Plushtrap do the same on my shoulder. I couldn't help but smile myself. I pulled my bangs back, letting my eyeless eye socket show. I knew what it meant. We weren't going to hide anything anymore. It was going to be the three of us living and learning together.