Chapter 13: Family

(Jenny's POV)

I look around the lair and then back at my sister. The bundle in her arms wiggled and she almost dropped the baby girl.

I reach my arms almost instantly, ready to catch the little one if she did fall. May managed to get a better grip on the baby and held on to her.

I sigh before rubbing my temple, already feeling a headache forming. "Remind me how this happened?"

May gives me an exasperated look. "When a mommy and daddy love each other very much, they decide to-"

I grimace and cut her off.

"Not what I meant," I say.

"Her parents died in a car accident and she survived because she is an earth angel like you. Everyone in her family thinks she's dead. Even if they didn't, they would see her as a freak," she says and I wince at the word 'freak'. I pushed down any unwanted memories and looked at the baby girl in my sister's arms.

The little one was as pale as snow, her head was full of midnight black hair, and her eyes were as green as emeralds. She looked at her surroundings curiously, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Did you get her name before her parents died?"

May shook her head. "No."

I looked at the baby. Only one name came to mind as I as gazed at her innocent face.

"Crystal," I say with a smile.

"What?"

"Her name can be Crystal," I say and take the little one into my arms.

She looks up at me and coos. I smile and reach my hand to brush a piece of hair out of her face.

She takes my hand and presses it to her lips, kissing it. She then falls asleep, still holding my hand.

May leaves, and I hear Leo enter the room. He reaches over and plays with Crystal's hair.

"Who's this cutey?" he asks.

"Crystal, and she is an earth angel just like me. Her family is dead, and she needs us. We have to raise her, we are the only ones who can do it," I say and pass Leo his new daughter.

Crystal wakes slightly and cries. Leo shifts her, and she stops crying. She reaches up and takes his three fingered hand in her's. I watch as she puts it in her mouth and starts chewing on it. He laughs and I smile.

Later that day, she is sound asleep in Leo's arms. His hand is in her arms. I brush a piece of hair out of her face. 

On my bracelet, a new charm is part of it. A emerald hung from a sapphire heart split in two, one side was darker then the other.