Chapter 15

The complete eBook is available from Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and more!

-----

- 15 -

It was a Monday morning when Hank Barton, candidate for City Council, Seventh District, decided to go after the church vote. The morning turned out to be hit-and-miss, mostly miss. Of the five churches he visited before lunch, only two pastors agreed to offer him an opportunity to connect with the congregants. Of the rest: One pastor was unavailable for a meeting this week (how about next week?); one pastor wished him well, would probably even vote for him, but categorically refused to mix politics with the pulpit; one pastor got mad and threw Hank out before they even had a chance to discuss the state of the community.

When Hank broke for lunch, he stopped for a burger, watching people as he chomped. He wiped his mouth often, reminding himself the importance of public image.

But how to get the votes of these people? Hank went over in his mind the awkwardness of just jumping up, reaching out, and pumping a stranger’s hand. Of explaining himself and asking them to vote Barton. These days, it was impertinent enough to ask a person to vote at all.

He just decided to remain seated. Finish his burger and side salad, and get back to his church campaign. Build his power base, gain the support of important influencers in the community. Then he would feel more comfortable about going to the average folks for their vote.

The first stop after lunch was The Last Church of God’s Imminent Will. Out front were a series of huge signs touting its upcoming Kingdom Come event.

Hank was a bit nervous about meeting with Reverend Daniel Glory. The man was a major player in the local community, regularly on the news for one reason or another. He was one of those bigger-than-life preacher types. He also had a popular book right now about the Rapture, which was all the buzz on the local talk radio.

The meeting went very poorly. “Why bother voting,” Daniel Glory asked point blank, “when we won’t even be here long enough for you to be sworn in?”

“W-what? As a man of God, what about your duty to be salt and light?”

“There’s no point digging the vineyard after the season is already over.”

“Huh?”

Reverend Glory grabbed a booklet off the top of his desk. Held it up. 107 Reasons Jesus Is Coming Back in 2007. “Young man, the time of the end is near. The Lord Jesus will be here on October 17 of this year. He will take His church out of harm’s way, and there will follow a judgment such as this world has never seen.”

Hank did not have a response prepared for that.

-----

There are 70 chapters for Tribulation House. You can purchase the whole eBook from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, B&N, and more! 

Visit my website and sign up for my author newsletter to receive two free eBooks. Thanks for reading!