Chapter 47

The complete eBook is available from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and more!

-----

It was cold standing on the porch. Hank Barton, candidate for City Council, knocked on the door and glanced toward his associate, a young lady, the volunteer helping with the field campaign today.

The door cracked open a few inches and an old woman peeked out. Her eyes darted to Hank and then his assistant and then back to Hank again. She said, “That’s quite a shiner you have there, young man. I hope you look better than the other guy.”

Hank tried a smile. Ouch. Still hurt. “My name is Henry Barton—you can call me Hank—and I would be honored to serve you on the City Council.” He grinned broadly, continued, hoping to get inside. “I am on a mission to join with as many people as I can to become active in the affairs of our city and to participate in a respectful, transparent, and effective manner.”

The lady blinked. Door still almost closed. At least she was still listening.

“If we could sit with you for just a few minutes, ma’am, I would love to discuss with you how together we can send a message to the whole council—so that our economy and our community will be free to develop and thrive.”

There was barking from inside the house. The old lady turned and yelled, “Down, Shep!” She turned back to the porch, closing the door another fraction of an inch. Staring.

“If we could just sit with you a couple minutes,” Hank Barton soldiered on, sweating, “we would love to explain how I am dedicated to preserving and enhancing District Seven neighborhoods, ensuring the safety of residents and creating an attractive and healthy environment that will encourage people to live, work, and shop in the district. We have an opportunity to start a new day in Kansas City.”

The door shivered a little, something bumping against it from inside. The old lady. “Hush!” She turned back to Hank and his young volunteer. “So you’re some sort of senator?”

Wiping his forehead with a damp white handkerchief, Hank smiled at the woman, pretending he wasn’t about to thoroughly repeat himself. It was hard. “I am running for City Council. I hope to be elected to the seat that was vacated by Council Member Lester Goode. If we could just come in for a minute—”

The old lady frowned. “Little early for elections, ain’t it?”

“There is a special election. We have a mandate from the people—”

“That your daughter or your girlfriend?”

Hank flinched. “What?”

-----

There are 70 chapters for Tribulation House. You can purchase the whole eBook from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, B&N, and more! 

Visit my website and sign up for my author newsletter to receive two free eBooks. Thanks for reading!