Chapter 25

The complete eBook is available from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and more!

-----

- 25 -

Ross Cleaver and Bill Lamb paid a visit at the Imminent Will church. They were following up on their little tow-truck stunt.

“A shame what happened the other night,” Cleaver told the man in the lobby. He looked down at the hat in his hands, shaking his head. “You fine folk having your little church meeting, and somebody’s car has got to disappear like that.”

The other man frowned. “I don’t understand.”

“You know, your little church meeting. The other night.”

“Uh-huh.” Blank stare.

“The—other night.”

“Right.”

Cleaver fought the urge to throttle the guy. “It has come to our attention that a certain person’s car may have been towed away by operators unknown.”

“Really?”

“Sure, right out of your own parking lot there.” If the incident hadn’t spread through the church, it was a wasted act.

“Well, it is a big church.” The man shrugged, apologetic. “We can’t keep track of every little thing that happens to every single member.”

“Somebody must have complained.”

“Not that I heard.”

“Well, it happened. Now, I only wish that my partner and I had been in a position to halt this atrocity before it took place.”

The other man’s eyes widened. “Oh.”

Contact. Cleaver smiled. “I see you appreciate our situation.” He shrugged amiably. “We would hate for these sorts of incidents to escalate.”

The man nodded. Shrugged again. “Well, I’m sorry, but I still have not had a chance to bring this matter before the board.”

“The board.”

“Yes. Our board of directors.”

Back in the car, Lamb scrunched up his eyes. “If they’re supposed to move the church somewheres else, why haven’t we told them to move?” Twisted the top off another water bottle.

Cleaver, gripping the steering wheel at 10 and 2, kept his eyes on the road. “What are you talking about?”

“Mr. Massey wants that property, right?” Took a swig of his water. “So why are we worried about insurance if they’re actually supposed to be moving on?”

Cleaver was silent a second. Eyes fixed on the road. “I got my ways.” Cleaver didn’t trust the kid anymore, bit his lip before any elucidation came out. No reason to tell the kid he was looking for some cash on the side. If they kept pushing on the church, it would get tired of the neighborhood and move.

He just needed to figure out how to maximize his efforts. Apparently, towing one random car hadn’t done it. It still didn’t make sense to him.

Maybe he shoulda towed the reverend’s car after all. That woulda put the stink in it. Surely the gang would'a heard about that.

Cleaver made a mental note to knock on a few cars at a time. The risk of getting caught in the act would go up, but the attack needed to hurt. It needed to be noticed.

-----

There are 70 chapters for Tribulation House. You can purchase the whole eBook from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, B&N, and more! 

Visit my website and sign up for my author newsletter to receive two free eBooks. Thanks for reading!