Chapter 33

The complete eBook is available from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and more!

-----

- 33 -

“So, God told you to run for office?” Kansas City Blade reporter Ben Carlson scribbled furiously in his notepad.

Across from him at the small round table, the aroma of coffee floating about them, Hank Barton, candidate for City Council, Seventh District. “I don’t know that I would state it that baldly. But I do have a mission to make a difference in this district.” He added, “My wife and I both feel quite strongly about it.”

“So, you’re on a mission from God?” Carlson smirked, not even looking up from his notepad. “You know, dark glasses and full tank of gas and all that?”

Hank turned his head sideways, trying to see what all the scribbling was about. Pursed his lips. Tried to figure out where this reporter was coming from. Tried to redirect the conversation. “I am on a mission from the people.” He felt himself floundering, went back to his safety net: “I am proud to announce my hope to earn the support of my fellow citizens of the seventh district of Kansas City as one of their representatives on the city council.”

“Uh-huh.”

“With the untimely demise of Councilman Goode”—Hank crooked his neck to try and see the other man’s notepad—“the special election to fill the vacancy forms an opportunity for the people to make their voices heard.”

“Uh-huh.”

Hank gave up on trying to read the man’s notes. He sipped from his coffee. “Look, Mr. Carlson, I was born and raised here. I have traveled all over, and there is nowhere I would rather call home.” Practically reciting this info by rote, making a conscious effort to sound casual. “This is an incredible city. But our local government is broken; and for far too long we, the God-fearing local taxpayers, have been paying the price. Our freedoms are threatened by activists on the left and organized crime on the right. For far too long, we have been too polite, too lax, too willing to go with the flow. But the sleeping giant needs to awaken and deal with these problems.”

Carlson nodded. “Uh-huh.” Scribbling, scribbling, always scribbling.

“When you—that is, when the people elect me to city council”—pause, allowing the man’s scribbling to catch up—“they are sending a message to the council about what matters to the people of this district.”

Hank noticed movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned and saw a woman and a small child looking at him. He grinned big, and the woman brought the child over to the table. “Excuse me, but aren’t you Hank Barton?”

He stood. “Yes, ma’am. I am.” The reporter did not even look up from his notepad. Shouldn’t he have brought a tape recorder?

The woman said, “We look forward to voting for you.”

“I appreciate that.” He looked at the little girl. “And who have we here?”

The girl blushed and hid behind the woman’s leg. The woman said, “This is Suzy.” She leaned down to the little girl. “Can you say ‘hello,’ Suzy?”

The girl, apparently, could not. The woman said it was nice meeting him, and she and the child left. Hank sat down, feeling pretty good.

The reporter picked up as if nothing had happened. “And what do you think matters to the people of this district?”

“Um.” The reporter did not even give him a chance to get back into the rhythm of the interview. “Well, for one, religious liberties.” Pause. “Two, education.” Pause. “And three, crime prevention.” Hank paused again, sipping from his coffee. Pacing himself. It was all about pacing. “These are the great pillars on which a great society is built. We need the freedom to observe our religion. Our children need to be given the proper education to grow up into the citizens and leaders of tomorrow. And we need to be free from the fear that the criminal element is going to drag our society into the shadows and destroy us.” He took another sip from his coffee. Wondering whether he was laying it on too thick.

The reporter just mumbled another “Uh-huh.”

“Once these three things are in place, our economy and our community will be free to develop and thrive. I am dedicated to preserving and enhancing District Seven neighborhoods, ensuring the safety of residents, and creating an attractive and healthy environment that will encourage people to live, work, and shop in the—”

“How do you intend to do that?”

Hank nodded thoughtfully, smiled. “My plan is to give attention to safe neighborhoods and parks … adequate numbers of police … well-maintained streets … clean sidewalks with buildings unspoiled by graffiti … and a welcome climate for new businesses that provide good-paying secure jobs.” Added, “My wife, Lisa, and I both feel strongly about this.”

“Uh-huh.” The reporter scribbled some more in that chicken-scratch shorthand, then looked up from his notebook. “You are aware that this is just a position on the city council?”

“Of course.”

“Not, you know, mayor.”

“I’m not sure I see what you—”

“So, do you really think you can do all this?”

Hank tried to sound statesmanlike. “This is not about me.” Tried not to sound annoyed. “This is not about what I can do. This is about what the council is empowered to do by the people.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And when the people elect me, they are sending a—”

“A message, got it.” Scribbling.

Hank stopped to find his train of thought. Sipped his coffee to stall for time. Wished he had bought another flavor. Finally, “I’m not saying we don’t have our work cut out for us,” he said. Exuding confidence. “But we can now all wake up to the new morning of Kansas City and get ready for a great day. All of Kansas City must stand together, or we will fall together.”

The reporter scribbled furiously. Hank stretched his neck again, tried unsuccessfully to figure out what the man was writing. He thought over his statement, how it would play in the press. It suddenly occurred to Hank that VOTE BARTON FOR A GREAT DAY or VOTE BARTON FOR A NEW MORNING would have been much stronger than BETTER WITH BARTON. He would have to discuss that with Sven when he got back to the campaign headquarters.

“So…” The reporter stopped scribbling and looked up. “When God speaks to you, is it like a big booming voice from the heavens, or more like a quiet voice in your head?”

-----

There are 70 chapters for Tribulation House. You can purchase the whole eBook from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, B&N, and more! 

Visit my website and sign up for my author newsletter to receive two free eBooks. Thanks for reading!